Taxpayers will have shelled out $8.5 million by March next year to promote Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which has so far made more than $3 billion around the world. Cabinet minister Pete Hodgson announced yesterday that the Government would spend $4 million to promote The Return of the King. Up to $2 million would be for the world premiere in Wellington on December 1. The funds increase the total amount of taxpayers’ money spent since 2001 promoting Jackson’s films to $8.5 million. ACT MP Rodney Hide said taxpayers’ money should not be spent to promote it. “Our politicians prefer the glitz and glamour of Hollywood to fixing old people’s broken hips and making sure our kids are properly looked after,” he said.
Peter Jackson sat down for a small featurette to discuss taking The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit into 4k.