Jackson, Walsh won’t attend Oscars
Stuff.co.nz – 22 March 2003
Jackson, who with The Two Towers producers Walsh and Barrie Osborne, have been nominated for the best picture award, had indicated earlier this year he would attend the ceremony on Monday (NZT).
However, Lord of the Rings publicist Melissa Booth said yesterday Jackson and Walsh had decided to stay in Wellington.
The couple had not given a specific reason for staying, though it was possibly due to commitments to complete The Return of the King, she said.
Asked if it was because of the war in Iraq, she replied: “They’re just saying they’re not going… I don’t think it’s too big a deal”.
Besides best picture, a total of 15 crew members on The Two Towers have been nominated for art direction, sound, sound editing, visual effects and film editing.
The 15 and Osborne would attend the ceremony, Ms Booth said.
Some were due to attend a special dinner at The Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles tomorrow organised by the New Zealand Consulate-General.
Several New Zealand performers, including Lucy Lawless and Dave Dobbyn, would provide entertainment.