The good folks at TheOneRing.net have gotten a hold of the official show synopsis for Amazon’s new show (scroll down to read the synopsis–read on for my take)… and while many (me included) have been calling it a new “Lord of the Rings” show, perhaps the better name for it would be Akallabêth. Why? Let me explain… no, there is too much… let me sum up…
Akallabêth is the fourth part of The Silmarillion and tells the story of the downfall of Númenor (the island-continent given the men of Middle-earth who helped the elves in their fight against Morgoth). This takes place in the second age, which lasts about 3500 years. The real story, though, of this age lies in what Sauron does.
A Likely Plot Timeline
- The forging of the rings by Celembrimbor, with the secret forging of The One Ring by Sauron.
- The elves wage war against Sauron, and with the help of the Númenoreans, defeat him and drive him back into Mordor.
- 1500 years pass and Sauron gains power again.
- Sauron is captured by the Númenorians and brought to Númenor.
- Sauron corrupts the selfish Númenorian king and becomes his most trusted advisor.
- His corrupting influence sets the men against both elves and Valar.
- Númenor is eventually destroyed.
- The remaining faithful men–led by Elendil–establish Gondor.
- Sauron is eventually defeated in the battle we saw at the beginning of Peter Jackson’s Fellowship of the Ring — the Last Alliance of Men and Elves.
Amazon will likely compress the centuries that this takes place, but since elves are deathless, and Númenorians live for hundreds of years, the main characters can stay the same over these long spans of time. With all this, I can only see the tale’s protagonist as Sauron, and the likely heroes will be Celebrimbor and Elendil.
Think I’m wrong? Comment below or talk about it in our forums!
The Synopsis from Amazon
Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.