It’s just over a week away! Dragon*Con 2002, America’s largest annual convention for fans of science fiction, fantasy and horror, comics and art, games and computers, animation, science, music, television and films, will be held August 30-September 2, Friday – Monday in Atlanta, Georgia. Tolkien Online’s own Elbren, (that’s me!), is on staff again and is throwing a party at The Prancing Pony on opening night of the convention in the Tolkien Track room. Food, good cheer, live music, and Middle Earth giveaways are on the menu for the evening of August 30th at Dragon*Con! There will be a costume contest with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes of Sideshow–Weta Lord of the Rings Polystone Figures! Random drawings will be made throughout the evening for Glasshammer CDs, Decipher LOTR RPG and TCG Starter Sets, a LOTR DVD, and other REALLY nice Middle Earth treasures! We are encouraging Pony patrons to come in costume; and, if you do, you will get TWO random drawing tickets for the giveaways! (Of course, you will automatically be eligible for the costume contest if you come in costume!) First prize will receive the Sideshow-WETA Sam and Bill the Pony Polystone statue; second prize will receive the Sideshow-WETA Legolas Polystone statue; and third prize will take home the Sideshow-WETA Gandalf Polystone statue. I probably don’t need to tell you that these statues are absolutely gorgeous! ALL party attendees will receive special Sideshow-WETA discount coupons that are exclusively for Dragon*Con Tolkien fans!
The Tolkien Track is sponsored this year by Sideshow-WETA, Decipher, Lord of the Rings Official Fan Club, TheOneRing.net, and YOU, the fans!! Besides really nice giveaways, we also have:
- Marty Ruark and Tim Hucklebery from Games Workshop who will clue us in on all of the upcoming Two Towers gaming goodies!
- Steve Babb from Glasshammer who will premiere TWO new Middle Earth inspired music videos
- TORCers Carnimiriel and Alkarion will do TWO presentations on their much anticipated Tolkien inspired ballet, The Silmaril
- Renowned Tolkien scholar and Oxford don, Tom Shippey, will do two sessions on our beloved professor, JRR Tolkien
- All of the gaming news that you could want from TheOneRing.net Cliff “Quickbeam” Broadway, who is providing the voice of Sam for the Vivendi Universal LOTR games
- Want to learn some Elvish? Jeff Sherrill and Paul Dunne are back for two sessions on Elvish 101
- EXCLUSIVE behind the scenes look at The Two Towers from TheOneRing.net–one in the grand ballroom for everyone; and one intimate presentation in our very own Tolkien Room
- Arms and Armor in Middle Earth with Joe Piela! See Middle Earth based arms and armor and meeet master Metalsmith and owner of The Lonely Mountain Forge, Joe Piela
- Dan Govar from ThereandBackAgain.net talks about his motivation, approaches to illustration, and brings some original art for us to OOO and AHHH over!
There are a few surprises that we’re brewing up for you as well! There will be lots of Tolkien fans for you to meet, including quite a few TORCers that plan to rock The Prancing Pony! If you can’t make it to Atlanta, Elbren, (that’s me!), will have daily updates on Tolkien Online complete with pictures and full details! If you CAN make it to Atlanta, come to the Tolkien Track room and join us!