Five years in the planning and it’s here at last. This week sees the start of a 5 day conference to mark the 50th anniversary of the complete publication of JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. To celebrate this the Tolkien Society and Partner Organisations are holding a conference at Aston University, Birmingham, England.
Guests include renowned academics, artists and authors:
Rhona Beare, Julian Bradfield, Patrick Curry, Colin Duriez, Anke Katrin Eissmann, Verlyn Flieger, Christopher Garbowski, John Garth, John Howe, Tim Kirk, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith,
Michael Scott Rohan, Tom Shippey, Brian Sibley, Viv Wilkes.
(All guests are attending subject to work commitments.)
Day tickets available for Friday, Saturday and Sunday at £30.
The event features:
* A civic reception hosted by the Lord Mayor and Birmingham City Council to welcome the conference, the Tolkien Society and participating societies to Birmingham and to celebrate Birmingham’s links with J.R.R. Tolkien.
* World Exclusive: Verlyn Flieger will read from her new critical edition of Tolkien’s “Smith of Wootton Major” due to be published by HarperCollins in September 2005
* Author & artist autograph sessions – including Alan Lee signing his brand new “The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook” at the second of three exclusive pre-publication signings this summer.
* Over 165 programme items: papers; panel discussions; seminars and workshops spread across 5 streams.
* “Farmer Giles of Ham” staged by Birmingham’s own Shire Productions
* 2 hours of Brian Sibley’s 13 hour radio adaptation of The Lord of the Rings
* Coach tours of Tolkien’s Birmingham and Oxford
* Art Show with displays form Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith, Anke Eissman, Tim Kirk and a host of others.
* Dealers Room
Details can be found at www.tolkiensociety.org/2005
Partner Societies: The Tolkien Society; The Mythopoeic Society (USA); Elanor (Belgium); Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft (Germany); Arthedain (Norway); Sociedad Tolkiendili de México (Mexico); Sociedade de Tolkien Brasileira (Brazil); Società Tolkieniana Svizzera & Eldalië (Switzerland); Sociedad Tolkien Española (Spain); The Polish Tolkien Society; Forodrim (Stockholm, Sweden); The Greek Tolkien Society; Skies of Rohan (Idaho & Montana, USA); Proudneck (Italy); Keskmaa Ordu (Estonia); Unquendor (Netherlands); Tol Harndor (Australia); Magyar Tolkien Társaság (Hungary); Conselho Branco Sociedade Tolkien (Brazil); The Cambridge Tolkien Society (UK); The Charles Williams Society; Heren Istarion (New York, USA); Taruithorn: the Oxford Tolkien Society (UK); Österreichischen Tolkien Gesellschaft (Austria); The Geroge MacDonald Society; Beyond Bree (MENSA, USA); Società Tolkieniana Italiana (Italy); Walking Tree Publishers.
Any queries regarding this Press Release should be addressed to: Ian Collier, Publicity Officer, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org