Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Welcome! Welcome – Terms of Service

• Welcome – Terms of Service

Jonathan updated 1 week, 1 day ago 11 Members · 16 Posts
  • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 40 posts

Welcome to The One Ring!

Here are a few useful tips to help you get the most out of TORC.

General message board tips:

Don’t crash the party.

When you first arrive on a board, nobody knows you (unless, maybe, someone already there suggested you join). This does not give you license to do the electronic equivalent of jumping up and down screaming ‘notice me’! If you draw too much attention to yourself, people will think ‘ignorant newbie’ and ignore you. Far better to join in the ongoing discussion or bring up valid points than to simply draw attention to your newness.

Think before posting.

Particularly when posting new topics (as opposed to replying to existing ones), think about whether or not you have something new and interesting to say. Have a look at existing topics to see if someone has already started a thread proclaiming the extreme hotness of your favorite character before you start one yourself. If they have, join in there instead of creating a duplicate conversation thread.
    Also, think about where to post. There are descriptions below each forum title (‘Tom’s House’, ‘Bird & Baby’ etc.) for a reason. Read them. If you, for example, post a thread about the Lord of the Rings films in the book discussion forum, then you will have this pointed out to you, and the thread will probably be moved by the moderators. This will make you look foolish for not reading the forum descriptions, displace relevant topics in that forum and create work for the mods, which is bad for both you and the boards. Also, do not post silly messages in the middle of serious discussion, as this will get people’s backs up.

Be courteous at all times.

This should go without saying, but sadly, sometimes it doesn’t. Do not insult other posters over a difference of opinion (though healthy debate is positively encouraged, fighting is not), tell them to leave the site, spoil their threads with random or annoying messages, post obscene material, etc.

Take your time.

Don’t expect to overnight become well-known. This takes time, often lots of it. Post interesting opinions, original points, and intelligent and/or entertaining ideas, and people will respect and remember you.

The One Ring : Specific tips and information:

Terms of Service

Note that the ToS includes many of the common-sense points I’ve already made. Follow it or face the wrath of the moderators and their magic wand of death.

Netspeak

Although it is commonplace on some Internet discussion sites, the use of Netspeak (‘how r u’, ‘i luv u’, ‘got 2 go’, etc.) and other non-standard English typing styles, such as wRiTiNg LiKe ThIs or TYPING EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS (equivalent to shouting), is discouraged where possible here.

Do not abuse the different font and color options with lots of crazy sizes and colors for no reason, or else your post may be edited by a Mod, or at the least ignored by everyone else. Some of our members do not speak English as their first language and have enough trouble reading plain English without having to decipher strange abbreviations. Heck, people who do have English as their first language often have trouble reading Netspeak – I know I do.

Respect the Moderators and Admin.

The moderators’ requests should be listened to and followed at all times. We do have the best interests of the board at heart (we don’t get paid for this, you know!) and we want to see everyone happy and the site flourishing with interesting discussion. Any modifications, suggestions or requests we make are geared toward this goal. We will listen to suggestions or complaints (unless they’ve already been recently addressed several times, in which case we’ll say so in an exasperated tone) and take them into due consideration.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:11 am
  • Lalaith-Elerrina

Petitioner to the Council : 18 posts

Hello, Jonathan! This is a new and updated look. I look forward to seeing posts from old Torcers!

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:20 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 28 posts

Well, not a long-time poster, but I’ve been here for a little while now.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:24 am
  • Jonathan

Thanks! There are still a few issues to workout, but this platform will allow for a LOT more customization and improvements!

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:15 am
  • bornilon

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

Always pleased to see the rise of a new Age of TORC!

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:00 pm
  • Morwenna

Petitioner to the Council : 12 posts

I’m going to miss a lot of the old continuations, but as long as they’re still available to read, I suppose we’ll survive… Are we going to get the Guilds up again? It was a nice way to categorize special-interest threads.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:55 pm
    • Jonathan

Alliances and Guilds are back now too!

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:56 am
  • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 21 posts

The forums drop-down menu doesn’t have the RP forum listed, but it’s on the forums page.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:41 am
    • Jonathan

Thanks for catching that! Fixed!

👍

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:06 pm
  • prmiller

Citizen of Imladris : 30 posts

I am eager to learn this new way of posting…and all those poems…back there…they are…well, back there.

One of the great joys of a new year is starting something new, and I am the new and significantly changed

Parm…lighter, stronger, but still enthused with all things…TORC!

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:46 am
  • Old_Begonia

Petitioner to the Council : 13 posts

I tried searching ’emojis’ and didn’t find anything.

One of the things I loved about the old TORC was all the creative emojis.

Will these be coming back?

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:11 am
  • prmiller

Citizen of Imladris : 30 posts

This is a fascinating moment for me. I am getting to experience that wonderful sense of starting over, but…wiser and with more stuff to talk about!

…and no, I do not dream in iambic pentameter…it’s iambic tetrameter,

Oh, my son has already ventured to ask that question and was charmingly schooled in the

winsome ways of poetic disciplines. Da-dum Da-dum, Da-dum…and that settled that.

He has not been nearly as forthcoming about baseball lore, though.

Perhaps my questions are too arcane:

Why is home plate a pentagon and the other plates squares?

Is yelling really necessary?

When do I get to see sportsmanship?

Oh, I am such a trial to the poor soul.

Maybe I should just ask him about someone’s RBIs or WLTs or LMNOPs or whatever.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:47 pm
  • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

How does one go about making a ‘inheritor thread’ for the Walking to Rivendell one on the old site?
    http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=95403&hilit=%2Ayona%2A

Would love to have that up and running somewhere or other!! 😇

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:07 pm
  • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

Welcome! I’d suggest go look at the discussion for starting the new Inn, for tips on restarting a roleplay thread.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:22 pm
  • Vanaladiel

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

Thank you Jonathan for starting us over and helping us to find new interest in getting reacquainted with each other. I have not been very active on the old TORC for a while. I would pop in a post maybe but not frequently.

It’s great to see some old friends and make some new ones too!

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:22 am
    • Jonathan

So good to see so many coming back… I expect we’ll see more new faces as the series on Amazon hits later this year!

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now