Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Movies, TV, and More 'The War of the Rohirrim' animated film

• 'The War of the Rohirrim' animated film

• Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 73 posts

Deadline reports: <b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Goes On: Anime Film ‘The War Of The Rohirrim’ In Works At New Line

“The J.R.R. Tolkien franchise is heading back to the big screen in a fresh New Line and Warner Animation anime title The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim. I’m told that the Oscar-winning feature architects Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh are not involved with the project as we speak, but that will be determined down the road. Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings: Return of the King scribe Philippa Boyens will be a consultant on the new project directed by Kenji Kamiyama. The pic is being fast-tracked with animation work done by Sola Entertainment. Voice casting is currently underway. Pic will be distributed around the globe by Warner Bros. Pictures.

The War of the Rohirrim focuses on a character from the book’s appendix, the mighty King of Rohan, Helm Hammerhand, and a legendary battle which helped shaped Middle-earth heading into LOTR. The anime pic will expand the untold story behind the fortress of Helm’s Deep, delving into the life and bloodsoaked times of Hammerhand. Overall, the movie is a companion piece to New Line’s LOTR trilogy and is set roughly 250 years before that movie during the third age (Note Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings mini-series is set during the second age).”

I’ll admit that a film about Helm Hammerhand and the Hornburg wouldn’t have been my first choice for a prequel to the War of the Ring. I would have suggested an animated movie or OAV (original animated video) series based on “The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen”, possibly focusing mostly on the journeys and errantries of Aragorn.

Other, similar projects that I’d like to see:
    – an animated short about Bandobrass “Bullroarer” Took and the Battle of Greenfields.
    – a series based on the Angmar War about the fall of Arthedain, the death of King Arvedui, and the destruction of Angmar.
    – a movie about the end of the Line of Kings of Gondor.
    – a short about the Shire during the Long Winter of T.A. 2758-59.
    – an adaptation based on the War of the Dwarves and Orcs.
    – some sort of prequel to the upcoming Gollum video game.

What else?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm
  • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 40 posts

I’ll be honest in being very skeptical of any Middle-Earth-based film/movie/animation/series/whatnot. I was going to say “that is based on the appendices” but let’s face it, even with the full book, dialogue, action, and scenes clearly detailed out they managed to still bungle portions of the movies, I have no faith that they will succeed in adequately bringing Tolkien’s imagination to life when it’s only based on a few scant details and some vague commentary.

So long as they keep “Hollywooding” the shows, I will remain skeptical.

One of the things I appreciate about the animated Hobbit and animated Lord of the Rings (for all the criticism it received) is they were done well. They followed the source material. Yes, you can bring all sorts of criticism against the animation style or the songs or the voice actors or whatnot, but the script they followed was one that honored the source material.

I just don’t see that happening in the current round of adaptations, and I will not hold my breath.

I want this release to change my mind, but I am not hopeful that it will.

THAT SAID – yes, I like your list – those would be wonderful stories to see brought to life. There are several independent short films (10 – 30 minutes) that have explored some of these things and while they did have some issues, overall I felt they were done very true to the spirit and most of the criticism came down to what was undoubtedly budget issues.

The long winter would be good, but so sad. That alone might make it difficult, would be hard to watch Hobbits starving. I would love to see perhaps Gandalf’s visits to the Shire pre-Hobbit; the coming of the Wizards to Middle-Earth; the meeting and early life of Arwen and Aragorn; even just a show about the Rangers keeping the borders of the Shire and Bree safe – I would be into a show about the Rangers (pending its quality)

But of all the possibilities of what they could have done, perhaps this one was deemed ‘safest’ as it might evoke less strong emotions around the events and characters? We have very strong views of who Aragorn should be, or Gandalf, or the Hobbits – perhaps it was considered neutral ground to go for the Rohirrim and their history.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:52 am
  • omnigeek

Petitioner to the Council : 5 posts

<div>I am hopeful for this. The director named for the anime has a great track record and the Japanese seem to be more respectful of lore and continuity than contemporary Hollywood. Their adaptation of Norton’s “The Borrowers” was wonderful, really well done.</div><div>

I agree about Rankin-Bass’s animated “The Hobbit” and “Fellowship of the Ring” as well as Bakshi’s “The Lord of the Rings” — the scripting was very faithful to the books, particularly given the limitations they had in time and cost. Muller’s script for “The Hobbit” in particular really retained and conveyed the essence of the book in just 77 minutes.

</div>

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:18 am
  • wyze

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

I hate that they are going to the anime style.

I long for the time we could have a nice looking western animated style movie, like the ones of old.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:12 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Well, there is no one ‘anime’ style, so the look of this movie might be more in line with your preferences than you expect it to be. I would suggest taking a look at director Kenji Kamiyama’s previous works to get a better sense of his personal style.

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:48 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Deadline reports: Jason DeMarco Named SVP Anime & Action Series/Longform For Warner Bros Animation & Cartoon Network Studios

Adult Swim’s Jason DeMarco has taken on a newly expanded role at Warner Bros. The veteran creative executive has been named SVP Anime & Action Series/Longform for Warner Bros Animation and Cartoon Network Studios.
    In his newly created dual role, DeMarco will spearhead WBA and CNS’ expansion into producing anime content. He also will be responsible for identifying and developing projects in the animated action genre to develop and produce series and longform programming for all audiences. Among his first projects, DeMarco will serve as the lead creative executive on The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, the upcoming original anime feature film directed by Kenji Kamiyama and produced by New Line Cinema and WBA.
    DeMarco also will continue his role as SVP, Head of Anime and Action Series, at Adult Swim. He will report to Sam Register, President of Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network Studios, and Michael Ouweleen, President of Adult Swim.

I was hoping for more news about The War of the Rohirrim by now, though I was thinking more of concept art, storyboards or casting announcements.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:29 pm
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now