Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Alliances and Guilds The Hobbits’ Cooking Guild, part 2

• The Hobbits’ Cooking Guild, part 2

Arassuil updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 5 Members · 12 Posts
  • Morwenna

Citizen of Imladris : 20 posts

Well, here we are! Ready to swap recipes & techniques again; it’s all about the food!

I don’t have an actual recipe to start today, but I do want to mention that my husband is going to start the bean soup tomorrow. To be exact, it’s ham and bean soup, made more or less the way one would make split pea soup, only with white beans instead of split peas. We had a ham for Christmas, and we still have leftovers including the bone, so simmering that bone will make the stock. This is one of our standard winter supper items, and it’s very hearty. Once it’s made I’ll report back with the details; I suppose I could ask him now, but it will be fresher in both our minds after he’s already made this year’s potful. And yes, I do mean potful; he never makes less than a gallon of any soup or stew, and actually more because it’s a gallon that goes into the fridge after we’ve had the first serving.

Come in, folks; should we re-post some of the recipes from the old board so they’re not lost? (I tend to use that forum as an online recipe book, even for my own stuff…)

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:16 am
  • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 41 posts

Yay! The Cooking Guild! Missed it! Been away a few years!

As for the old board, one might want to comb through it and curate them, or just link to the old board unless its going away. Trouble is out of the forty pages, a good majority of them are in code which to me is painful on the eyes. That said, let’s get started anew!

Talking Tacos!

Love my tacos. Granted, I got my start on the Tex-Mex/Cal-Mex hard shell tacos in the USA, but Ive been getting some great regional tacos from some Mexican ex-pats here in Australia. One of my favs is served as a meny item at the local microbrewery….

Tacos De Cochinita Pibil

‘Pibil’ is a Mayan word for buried, which refers to the traditional method of cooking in an underground fire pit, covered with banana leaves. Traditionally, the recipe is made with Seville oranges that grow in the Yucatan and have a bitter, acidic flavour. Here we use orange juice mixed with white vinegar, which works well to create that authentic flavour. The rich orange colour of the dish comes from the achiote paste, made from annatto seeds. Although simple to prepare, this dish takes time, so plan ahead!

Ingredients:

15 Nixtamil Corn Tortillas

1kg free-range pork shoulder or leg

100g achiote pasteJuice of 2 oranges

3 tbsp white vinegar

2 tsp oregano dried

¼ onion, peeled and quartered

1 garlic clove

1 habanero chilli, finely diced

3 radishes, finely sliced

½ red onion, finely sliced

60ml lime juice

Salt (to taste)

Cooking Instructions:

1. Combine achiote paste, orange juice, white vinegar, oregano, onion and garlic in a blender, adding salt to taste.

2. Rub the marinade over the pork with your hands, ensuring all the meat is covered. Cover and place in the fridge overnight (if you have time). (Tip: You can cook in the slow cooker immediately after preparing, however note that this impacts flavour – it is worth the wait!).

3. Place the pork and any excess marinade into the slow cooker and submerge with water to 2cm above the meat. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on a low setting. If you don’t have a slow cooker, place pork in an ovenproof dish and cover with baking paper and foil before cooking at 180°C/355°F for 2 to 2.5 hours. (Tip: You can tell it’s ready if you squeeze the meat and it falls apart).

4. While the meat is cooking, prepare the garnish ingredients by combining the habaneros, radish, red onion, and lime juice. Season to taste. Set aside and allow to rest while the meat cooks.

5. Remove the cooked pork from the liquid and place into a large bowl. Shred the meat using two forks. Add 3-4 spoons of the cooking liquid and stir through the shredded pork.

6. Heat your tortillas on a hot dry frying pan until steam rises and they’re hot and floppy, about 10 seconds either side. Wrap them in a thick cloth or aluminium foil as you go to keep them warm.

Place pork onto each tortilla, topped with the garnish mix.

Spiciness: 1 out of 3 chilies

Serves: 5

Preperation time: 220 minutes

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:26 pm
  • Arassuil

Pico De Gallo ~ Fresh Salsa

Ingredients

1 white onion, diced

3 tomatoes, diced

½ bunch coriander

1 serrano or ½ jalapeño chile, finely chopped (Use hotter or milder chilies as preferred)

Juice of 2 limes

1½ teaspoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 bag tortilla chips

Cooking Instructions:

1. Add the salt, sugar and lime juice to a bowl and mix well.

2. Dice the onion and add to the bowl. Stir well making sure the onion is well coated, and leave aside for a few minutes to allow the onions to cure.

3. Dice the tomatoes and chop the chilies and mix with the coriander in a seperate bowl.

4. Use a spoon to scoop out the cured onion and add to the mix. Keep the brine and use to salt to taste the mix.

Notes:

– I tend to measure the brine into the mix to determine the saltiness of the Pico de Gallo. If you use all the brine, it may be quite salty at first but a few hours of curing in the refrigerator tends to tame the saltiness.

– If the tortilla chips to be used for dipping are high in salt, you may want to use less brine in the mix.

– If the mix is too liquidy, strain it. I collect the juices to use when I’m preparing taco meat as it adds salt and flavour.

– Spiciness as presented is 1 out of 3 chilies. For more spiciness, use the chili seeds in the mix.

– Prep time roughly 20 minutes.

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:37 pm
    • Dunthule

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

Now I’m hungry!!!😁😋

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:15 pm
  • Morwenna

Yum, that sounds good! Though I tend to avoid tacos because they’re so messy to eat. I tend to go more for burritos and enchiladas. Hubby doesn’t mind though!

As for the ham soup, it failed… We left it on the burner too long, even though hubby added water to it more than once. We were simmering the ham bone on low, but as I said, it was on too long and got pretty much forgotten, till I smelled something funny and the thing had boiled all the way down and scorched… oh well… We get to share the blame for that one.

But next project is going to be the turkey soup! We may still have ham & bean soup, because we have plenty of beans and more ham, and there’s a jar of liquid from the ham from when it was first served. It won’t be as good as the failed one was supposed to be, because without the bone we won’t have all that collagen, but it’ll still be tasty. Don’t get me wrong; we’ve done this successfully several times in the past.

So maybe the bean soup will be next after all… It almost doesn’t matter because it’s winter and soups are good, whatever flavor.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:45 pm
  • Old_Begonia

Petitioner to the Council : 13 posts

Hello…I never ventured into the old thread at all, not being one to spend much time in the kitchen if I could help it. But there are one or two things I could share from days gone by when I had more than two mouths to feed, and cooking was more rewarding.

Since the first recipe here is for tacos, and the next mentions soup, I will share a recipe I was going to make today, but I’m short a couple of items, despite my efforts at planning.

TACO CHILI SOUP (makes a huge batch, most of which gets divvied up and frozen these days.)

(If you want a soupier soup, do not drain the beans. If you want a thicker dish, more like chili, drain them. I usually dump them all into a colander in the sink for a few minutes. You can vary the spiciness of this dish to taste. I keep it mild myself.) (I keep thinking I will try this with the dried beans from a package of 15 bean soup. If and when I do, I will report the results.)

· 1 lb ground beef or turkey

· 1 med onion, chopped

· 1 pkg each:

o Taco seasoning

o Ranch dressing mix

1 tbs. mustard powder (level)

· 1 can each:

o tomato paste

o kidney beans

o pinquitos or pink beans or pinto beans

o white beans

o black beans

o diced green chili peppers, mild

· 2 cans diced tomatoes (do not drain)

· 1 cup frozen corn (or canned niblets, well-drained)

· Sour cream

In a crockpot:

Add the beans and chili peppers. Stir to combine.

Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes with the 2 packets of seasonings. Stir to combine and distribute seasoning.

Separately, brown the meat, add the chopped onions & cook a few minutes, until onions are translucent and fragrant. Add to the crockpot. Mix thoroughly.

Heat on low 1 hour.

For faster prep, may be prepared in a heavy pot on the stovetop, but take care not to allow scorching.

Serve with dollop of sour cream.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:20 am
  • Morwenna

Yum! That sounds great! And I love the idea of using several kinds of beans.

We had a ham for Christmas, and one ham for two people lasts a long time, so a few days ago we made

SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM

Several potatoes (we used 6 small to medium), thinly sliced

One onion, very thinly sliced (a mandoline helps)

Sliced or cubed ham, as much as you like

One can cream of mushroom soup

One soup-can milk

An ounce or two of cheese (we happened to use provolone)

A bit of flour or cornstarch, and seasonings to taste

Heat the soup and milk together, melting the cheese into it and adding a little flour or cornstarch to make a sauce, and season to taste. In a baking dish, layer the potato slices, onion slices, ham, some of the sauce, repeat as necessary to use all the parts, ending with a layer of potatoes and the last of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 minutes, remove the cover and test the doneness. Give it about 10 more minutes uncovered to brown the top a bit, more if the potatoes are stubborn. This serves 4 (in our case, 2 twice).

I think we used as seasonings, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and a little smoked paprika on top.

As a side note, my husband made scalloped potatoes as a side dish for the ham on Christmas, only he didn’t use soup for that; he made a white sauce from scratch.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:26 pm
  • Old_Begonia

My mom made scalloped potatoes the way your husband did: using a white sauce. I love the idea, and I used to love hers but my lactose intolerance won’t allow it. Even using lactose-free milk doesn’t solve the problem when the milk is cooked. (If I make a ‘latte’ with it, I must be sure the milk is not actually boiled, but only warmed.)

This next dish came to my attention one New Year’s Day at my sister’s home in Orange County. She was living with her ‘fiancé’ (unknown story behind why she wore the engagement ring for twenty years but never married him) and HE actually made this for us for brunch. Not sure where he got the recipe.

BUNKIE’S EGGS

6 eggs

2 jars marinated artichoke hearts (crowns are better, if you can find them) chopped

1 small yellow onion, diced, sautéed in 3 tablespoons of artichoke oil

1 cup chopped, fresh mushrooms

1/2 cup bread crumbs

3 tablespoons green chiles, chopped (actually, I use the whole, small can, drained)

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)

2 1/2 cups of grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided

INSTRUCTIONS:

Whisk eggs until light. Add remaining ingredients, except 1/2 c of cheese. Whip to a consistent batter. Pour into buttered 13″x9″ casserole. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Cut into squares, serve for breakfast or brunch.

As I said above, I don’t care to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so all the chopping, sautéing, etc., in this dish means I only make it once a year, if that.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:16 am
  • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

Hey, hobbit cooks!
    Has anyone done much with the differences in wheats, (hard/soft, red/vs/white)?

I’ve heard it can make a huge difference in taste and feel, and since I’m having to hard-purge all soy/soy derivatives from my diet, I’m trying to recreate at home the classic “butter cracker”.
    When I use bread flour, or even all purpose (both out of hard red) the crackers always come out sooo hard!

So I’m trying some soft white… anyone got tips for me how to get the perfect cracker? 🙂

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:53 pm
    • Old_Begonia

I’ve tried making crackers myself and they always turn out too hard to actually eat. I think MY trouble is that I don’t roll them thin enough. And I don’t remember what recipe I followed…it’s possible I didn’t have one. 😜 What are you using for liquid?

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:21 am
  • Morwenna

Crackers are beyond my ken. Cookies, however… 🙂

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:15 am
  • Arassuil

Has anyone mined the various cooking/recipe threads on old Torc?

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now