Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Movies, TV, and More Remind me again why people hate The Hobbit films (most of them)

• Remind me again why people hate The Hobbit films (most of them)

nat808 updated 1 week ago 4 Members · 6 Posts
  • nat808

Petitioner to the Council : 15 posts

So I saw somewhere that some (I think) people do not like The Hobbit films. I’m just curious why they don’t like it. Come and discuss why you think you or other people did not enjoy the films!

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:25 pm
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 29 posts

A lot of viewers did not like the romantic subplot with Kili and Tauriel, finding it either nonsensical or underdeveloped. Similarly, many felt the new character Alfrid was annoying, especially in The Battle of the Five Armies. Many did not like how Radagast the Brown was depicted in the movies. Some were bothered by the crude humor injected into the films by Peter Jackson. There were also objections to the almost cartoon-like physics that allowed the company to survive falls that should have killed them or caused serious injuries and also enabled Legolas’ more outrageous stunts (like his Mario Bros. impersonation on the crumbling bridge).

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:57 am
  • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 22 posts

My personal but intense dislike for The Hobbit movies is that they were not The Hobbit – they were trying to be many, many things, and failed to be the one thing they claimed – The Hobbit.

They were trying to be a Lord of the Rings movie, they were trying to be a comedy, they were trying to be “more modern” with romantic sub-plots and heavy-handed action, and they failed to be all of them, and they utterly failed to be The Hobbit.

Oh yes, it contained a lot of content from the book The Hobbit, but it also completely changed a fair amount of the books, and contained far, far more than was in the books – and I don’t just mean the stuff they shoehorned in from other Tolkien sources.

I get that there are valid reasons to need to cut parts of a book out when adapting, I get that there may be some changes needed to properly adapt a written medium to a film medium.

But I have never understood why they feel the need to shove more things in that were never in the original and don’t actually help the story in the slightest, because if that is the story you want to tell, then tell that story.

Because that story isn’t The Hobbit. That story changes The Hobbit into something else.

As an example, from what I understand (and I could be wrong), the movie Willow was made after they failed to get the rights to make The Hobbit (or maybe it was LotR?). I love Willow – it’s a fantastic movie IMO. It isn’t The Hobbit and most importantly it doesn’t try to be, it is a different fantasy story entirely and it works. And it doesn’t require taking a source material, then just ignoring the source material and doing whatever you want.

If you want to do whatever you want then just do that and leave the book out of it.

If you are going to adapt a book, adapt the d*** book and stop trying to shove irrelevant and incompatible story elements into it.

And this isn’t even a comprehensive “everything wrong with The Hobbit films”. This is just the distaste that is left permanently in my mouth without even having to think about it.

*Full disclaimer, I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the third movie, the second was so bad.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:21 am
    • nat808

Petitioner to the Council : 15 posts

👏👏👏

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:05 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 29 posts

elengil wrote:

As an example, from what I understand (and I could be wrong), the movie Willow was made after they failed to get the rights to make The Hobbit (or maybe it was LotR?). I love Willow – it’s a fantastic movie IMO. It isn’t The Hobbit and most importantly it doesn’t try to be, it is a different fantasy story entirely and it works. And it doesn’t require taking a source material, then just ignoring the source material and doing whatever you want.

It’s funny. When Willow came out, I thought of it as The Hobbit Lite.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:49 pm
  • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 41 posts

*Full disclaimer, I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the third movie, the second was so bad.

I watched the extended edition of the 3rd movie, and have regretted it ever since. The nonstop cgi, the superfluous battle, so much noise signifying absolutely nothing.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now