Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Language Official Sindarin Translation Thread

• Official Sindarin Translation Thread

Xandarien updated 1 week, 6 days ago 2 Members · 9 Posts
  • Xandarien

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

Hello all, welcome to the Official Sindarin Translations thread. If you have any Sindarin requests just post them on this thread and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible! I used to do the translations on the old forum (I would post a link but the markup doesn’t seem to work).

Sindarin is the most commonly spoken Elvish language during the Third Age (the age during which the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are set). Sindarin is the first language of the Elves, but is also known by the Men of Gondor.

Neo-Sindarin
    Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I do have to make up compounds and words from existing stems and words, that use rules set down by Tolkien to cover gaps in the vocabulary. Technically this is termed ‘Neo-Sindarin’, and it is what every translator uses. Tolkien simply didn’t invent enough words for every eventuality. I must stress however, none of the words I use are straight out of my own head, they all come from existing ideas set down by Tolkien himself, so what you get from me is as close as humanly possible to his language.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:29 am
  • Alisa

Petitioner to the Council : 5 posts

Hi I am writing a piece of music called the enchanted stream which is inspired by the stream in Mirkwood. I was thinking of adding a bit of Sindarin talking to the track. Do you know if the language is copyrighted at all? I would be releasing the track so I wouldn’t want to get in trouble if it is. Apologies if Ive posted this in the wrong place! thanks

May 9, 2021 at 7:43 am
    • Xandarien

Sindarin found in Tolkien’s works like The Lord of the Rings is copyrighted yes and the Estate take a very dim view on people using it for commercial purposes. If I was to create a translation for you however that wouldn’t fall under the Estate’s purview and as such you would be fine to use it.

May 9, 2021 at 9:46 am
      • Alisa

thanks thats good to know. I am very careful about what I can and can’t use. Do I send you words or phrases to translate? I’m still thinking about what to say. It could be something about not straying from the path and avoiding the water to avoid being enchanted, that type of thing.

May 9, 2021 at 12:00 pm
      • Xandarien

I’ll happily translate whatever you want if you put it here.

May 10, 2021 at 1:25 am
      • Alisa

Hi I’ve nearly finished my track so I’m just working out the words and phrases I would like to use. Can you please translate: Enchanted river, avoid the water, stay on the path. I’m really interested in hearing how they will sound when spoken and if they will fit with the music, thanks

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:11 am
      • Xandarien

We have multiple words for river, we have Sîr = river and we have Duin = large, long river. There are also various words for streams. Sîr lúthannen = Enchanted river, Duin lúthannen = Enchanted large river.

Water is Nen, but we don’t have a verb for ‘to avoid’. I’d have to do something like Avo veno/Av-veno nef i nen = Don’t go beside the water or Avo badro/Av-badro nef i nen = Don’t walk beside the water.

Dartha- means ‘to remain, stay, wait’ and there are multiple words for path (fû = path, râd = path, pass, track) so Dartho bo i fû or Dartho bo i râd = Stay on the path.

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:15 pm
      • Alisa

Great thank you so much! Do you have any tips on the pronunciation at all? I can kind of hear how I think it would sound but I wouldn’t want to get it completely wrong, thanks

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:27 pm
      • Xandarien

Rough pronunciation guide

Sîr

S = As in ‘set’

îr = The vowel sound in ‘ear’, ‘dear’. Because the vowel î is the longest it can be you need to hold it for longer.

Lúthannen

L = as in ‘let’, ‘clear’. At the front of your mouth not at the back in ‘bottle’ (what is known as ‘dark l’).

ú = as in ‘boot’, ‘fruit’. Held for longer than an ‘u’ but not as long as an û.

th = as in ‘thing’, ‘thought’

a = long as in ‘father’

nn = held for twice the length of an English ‘n’. Think the ‘p’ sound in ‘lamppost’ or the ‘rr’ in ‘burrito’ if you’re from North America.

e = as in ‘set’, ‘let’.

The stress is as follows: lúth-ANN-en

Duin

D = as in ‘dog’

ui = as in ‘ruin’

Avo veno/Av-veno nef i nen

o = as in ‘hot’, ‘lot’

nef = the ‘f’ is a ‘v’ sound as in ‘vet’

i = as in ‘hit’, ‘sick’.

Stress on veno is as follows: VE-no

Badro

r = trilled, as in Spanish at the front of the mouth