Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Language Official Sindarin Translation Thread

• Official Sindarin Translation Thread

Xandarien updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Xandarien

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

Hello all, welcome to the Official Sindarin Translations thread. If you have any Sindarin requests just post them on this thread and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible! I used to do the translations on the old forum (I would post a link but the markup doesn’t seem to work).

Sindarin is the most commonly spoken Elvish language during the Third Age (the age during which the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are set). Sindarin is the first language of the Elves, but is also known by the Men of Gondor.

Neo-Sindarin
    Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I do have to make up compounds and words from existing stems and words, that use rules set down by Tolkien to cover gaps in the vocabulary. Technically this is termed ‘Neo-Sindarin’, and it is what every translator uses. Tolkien simply didn’t invent enough words for every eventuality. I must stress however, none of the words I use are straight out of my own head, they all come from existing ideas set down by Tolkien himself, so what you get from me is as close as humanly possible to his language.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:29 am

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now