Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Movies, TV, and More Official Show Synopsis for Amazon’s LOTR Series

• Official Show Synopsis for Amazon’s LOTR Series

Yonávë updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago 8 Members · 14 Posts
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 30 posts

Exclusive at TheOneRing.net:

Here is the official show synopsis for Amazon’s billion-dollar LOTR series:

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:24 am
  • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 42 posts

That’s kind of a synopsis… I mean… could they be more general!?

I posted my thoughts I what I think the plot might be here:

Here’s what Amazon’s New Lord of the Rings Show is About

I wonder how much they’ll compress the 3500 years of the 2nd age down…

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:31 am
  • Otaku-sempai

I wonder how much they’ll compress the 3500 years of the 2nd age down…

I think the show’s focus might be more narrow than that, focusing primarily on the middle of the Second Age. The show might end around the conclusion of the War of the Elves and Sauron, perhaps allowing us to see the Great Rings distributed to Dwarves and Men. The Downfall of Númenor and the War of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men might be saved for a spin-off series.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:22 pm
  • Old_Begonia

Petitioner to the Council : 13 posts

I thought I saw rumor of there being some elements of sexuality etc. which I don’t really remember encountering in the books. (Can anyone confirm?)

But certainly if they’re working from the Sil’ rather than the Red Book…I suppose…I dunno…I hope they don’t overdo it.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:15 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Yes, that is a rumor, based on a couple of bits of information. First, we know the show has an “intimacy coordinator”, though that’s pretty common now. Then, around the same time, we found out that there was a NZ casting call for actors who were comfortable with nudity. However, it has not been confirmed that the call was related to Amazon’s LotR show.

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:21 pm
  • Michael

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

Can’t wait to watch it…I suppose the series is going to be epic!

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:21 am
  • oldtobyoflongbottom

Hi

I’m new here – 2 questions:

1) I saw the map released along side of the synopsis which is also mentioned within it…Does this come from Tolkien’s works or has it been compiled by the production team? It’s ages since I read The Silmarillion and other stuff by C Tolkien so I cant remember if the map of Numenor etc is in there. Likewise, I’ve seen online a global world map including other continents beside Middle Earth any idea where that’s from?

2) I’ve just seen names given to the 2 Istari that went East in another thread – does this come from Tolkien?

3) What about having a live chat page on this site now that there’s a lot of new things to discuss?

Thanks

Old Toby

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:24 am
    • oldtobyoflongbottom

I got excited – 3 questions!

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:35 am
    • Otaku-sempai

I’m trying to remember if the map was one of the things that John Howe produced for the series. I do seem to recall that Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey was consulted on it, but I won’t swear to it. The mountain chain east of the Sea of Rhun is presumably the Orocarni (a.k.a. Mountains of the East), though I usually imagine them a bit farther east than that. They also appear on some of the maps produced for Weta Workshop. The sketch of Arda that you are referencing was made by Tolkien and was a representation of Arda in the First Age. It was published in the HOME volume The Peoples of Middle-earth. Karen Wynn Fonstad made use of it for the revised edition of her Atlas of Middle-earth.

Tolkien devised two sets of names for the Blue Wizards. Alatar and Pallanto are from his essay “The Istari” and look to be their Maiar names. Later, when Tolkien revised his thoughts about the Blue Wizards (and had them come to Middle-earth in the Second Age) he gave them the new names of Morinehtar and Rómestámo. This might have been given to them during their travels in Middle-earth.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:27 am
      • oldtobyoflongbottom

Interesting…as a boy reading LOTR I was fascinated by the maps and what was suggested at the edges…I think the Amazon Series is quite canny to allude to this…likewise the oblique references to the Blue Wizards were tantalising just like Bombadil…

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:37 am
      • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

Very fascinating ideas! There is so much that could be done with these elements!!!

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:21 pm
  • Anonymous

Petitioner to the Council : 5 posts

I admit, I haven’t been to this site for a long time … however, This is an important topic that has helped to make people more aware of these issues.

vex 3

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:30 am
  • Gungnir

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

That barely qualifies as a synopsis! 😄

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:14 am
  • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

I won’t have my hopes up, but I will look forward to seeing what all they end up doing with this… it could be fantastic! ❤

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now