Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Language Official Quenya Translation Thread

• Official Quenya Translation Thread

Elentire updated 4 weeks ago 5 Members · 11 Posts
  • Elentire

Petitioner to the Council : 6 posts

Hello and welcome to the Official Quenya Translation Thread, the space where you can post your Quenya-related translation requests or questions!

This is a continuation of The Official Quenya Translation Thread II on the old forums. Please refer to the first post in said thread for more information on Quenya and how to make a translation request.

(For those of you who may be wondering, I’m Gladhaniel — just with a new, better and more grammatically correct Elvish name!)

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:40 pm
  • stinkyninja37

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

I apologize for not quite understanding where to post translation requests. Could you possibly help me out or point me in the direction I need to go, please?

Thank you so much!!

Jordyn

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:24 am
    • Elentire

Hi Jordyn,

I’m sorry if my first post was confusing! You can post your requests right here in this thread, and for more details on how to do so you can refer to this link from the old forums.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:27 pm
  • knowledge2021seeker

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

Hello there. I need help with translating some simple sentences into Quenya:
    Enel opened the box.
    The box was opened by Enel.
    The wind opened the gate.
    Enel opened the gate with his hands.
    They captured Enel.
    Amarie baked a cake.
    Amarie lives in the
    temple.
    I tried to translate them myself and got the following:
    Enel palyanё i colca. Found this word for “box” on the Internet, I am not sure whether it is fan-invented or not.
    I colca palyanё ló Enel.
    I surё palyanё i ando.
    Enel palyanё i ando máryanen.
    Mapaneltё Enel.
    Amariё mastanё
    masta.
    Amariё
    marёa
    i cordassё.
    I just wanted to work on the use of various cases, but I am not sure if I got the inforamation correctly. Also was not able to find valid info about passive constructions in the language.

Looking forward to your reply. Oh, and is there any thread for Sindarin? Wanted to translate the same sentences into it. Thank you.

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:44 am
    • Elentire

Hi!

I’m sorry for taking a while to respond — for some reason I never got a notification to inform me that you’d posted something!

Your translation is very good, I only have a few suggestions to make:

I colca palyanë ló Enel I colca né palyaina Enelenen

Ló Enel is probably correct but, based on the attested example Túrin Turambar turún’ ambartanen master of doom [is] by doom mastered, I’d prefer using the instrumental form of Enel (Enelenen) to say by Enel.

As for the passive construction, I used the past tense of () and the passive participle of palya- (palyaina) to convey was opened. You can find further information here and here.

I surë palyanë i ando → I súrë palyanë i ando

Enel palyanë i ando máryanen → Enel palyanë i ando máryainen

Amarië marëa i cordassë → Amarië marë i cordassë

For lives, I’d use the aorist tense of mar- (marë) since it’s more usual than the present tense in LOTR-Quenya.

Xandarien used to take care of Sindarin translations on the old forums, but I don’t think she’s made any thread on the new forums yet. I’d suggest trying to contact her on her website here.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:24 pm
      • knowledge2021seeker

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

Thank you very much for your reply. I’ll try contacting Xandarien.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:10 am
      • Elentire

You’re very welcome! Please don’t hesitate to write again if you have any more questions in the future.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:23 am
  • isildilme

Petitioner to the Council : 3 posts

Dhani, is that you ?

I came to the forums to seek for something and see if it was done already (in Sindarin), to see that I can’t access to anything anymore, all of the old thread don’t seem to be anywhere so we can consult them ? I must say I felt a heartbreak. I have not been able to continue with mine in years now, but it’s still my baby ya know !

At least I keep everything I prepare in my files !

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:44 am
    • Elentire

Hi there,

Yes, it’s me! We haven’t spoken in a while, it’s great to hear from you. (:

I was also surprised when the old forums were replaced by new ones, and I’m sorry it’s made you upset… Have you tried accessing the old forums while logged in, though? Because when I do, I’m actually able to close the pop-up notification window and still access all the content that’s there. Not sure whether it’s going to remain there forever, but it doesn’t seem to be gone for now in any case!

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:41 am
  • huntress

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

Translation Request: “Roll for Initiative”

Hey y’all! I’m making a custom dice tray for D&D purposes, (it’s going to look like a spell book!) and was hoping to enlist some help translating the phrase “Roll for Initiative” to engrave on the front. I’d prefer Sindarin but I can’t find any discussion threads for this, and am also open to Quenya, this would be transcribed into Tengwar for its final usage.

There’s a lot of D&D and Tolkien fandom overlap so I’m honestly kind of surprised it’s been as hard as it has trying to find accurate translations for this phrase. I studied Sindarin quite a bit in high school, but I’m super rusty so I thought I’d take a shot at asking here in case anyone is faster than I am in figuring this one out. Thank you so much in advance, having an accurate version of this would make my nerd heart so happy! ^^

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:37 pm
    • Elentire

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your message!

I’m assuming roll in this context is meant to be in the sense of rolling a dice, right? Unfortunately, I don’t know of any attested Quenya equivalent for that, nor for to cast, to throw or anything of the sort; my suggestion would be to use tyal- to play instead. My impression is that I should use the verb in the imperative, but feel free to let me know if you had something else in mind.

As for initiative, are you going for the meaning “the power or opportunity to act or take charge before others do”? Here are a few suggestions based on that interpretation:

á tyalë túren play for mastery/victory!

(túrë: mastery, victory, strength, might, power)

á tyalë turien play (in order) to win!

(tur-: master, conquer, dominate, win, control, govern, wield, be able; can)

á tyalë tulien play (in order) to lead!

á tyalë i tulyalen / á tyalë i tulyanen play for the lead!

Here I used -lë and -në to make the verb tulya- to lead into the noun lead. As such, this alternative goes a bit more into fan creation and might be considered to be ‘less pure’ Quenya.

Please don’t hesitate if you’ve got any questions or specifications on the intended meaning of the phrase!

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:24 am

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now