Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Welcome! Newbies Central – come say hello!

• Newbies Central – come say hello!

wyze updated 1 week, 4 days ago 29 Members · 65 Posts
  • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

For new members, or those just migrating over from the old forums, this is a thread to introduce yourself, make your first post, or ask that simple question!

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:39 pm
  • kevenstar

Petitioner to the Council : 9 posts

Well, hi! It’s been a VERY long time; I was active in these forums as a youngster, (K.Evenstar) round about 2003-2009, until a personal crisis made me decide to retreat. However, a lot of time has passed, and I have very fond memories of the TORC forums, debates and discussions, and spent a lot of time in the Latte Lounge forums with luthienelflover, gwenelf and others. I wonder if anyone else is here from these days?

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm
    • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 46 posts

Welcome back! After The Hobbit films, TORC definitely hit a lull (not the least due to me having 4 kids!)… but we’re back and fully-engaged in making sure the site becomes a community destination for fans of Tolkien again!

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:22 pm
  • Wildwood

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

Hey! First time back to TORC in a long time. Gotta learn this new site. First thing I need to know: 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Yep! Just like HOME! 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:05 am
  • laureanna

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

We need green smilies for Wildwood!

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:30 am
    • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 38 posts

Dragon

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:31 am
  • Kaya

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

Hi all! Walking down memory lane here, seeing familiar names for what is 19 years ago for me – almost to the day. 😱

She drew a deep breath. “Well, I’m back”, she said.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:29 am
    • earendil

Citizen of Imladris : 58 posts

19 years, that’s almost half my life LOL 🀯

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:50 am
      • Ithiliel

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

Egads! I’ve been a member of TORC for more than half my life. Yeesh. What a tot I was when I joined! (she says, trying to make herself feel not-quite-so-old)

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:05 pm
    • Tygarya

Petitioner to the Council : 16 posts

Hello old friend

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:05 pm
    • elengil

Hello, darling! Wonderful to see you again πŸ™‚

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:30 am
  • heliona

Citizen of Imladris : 42 posts

Well, I only had a few years away from TORC, when it got super busy when the films came out and my internet couldn’t cope with all the manic posting (*cough* spamming πŸ˜‰).

But I’m still here – posting less due to having a TORC baby (a daughter with Wilko, if anyone remembers him). Been knocking around for 21 years now! (And in the last few years I was a mod, as my alter ego, White Shadow. No-one will remember but she stemmed from my roleplaying days in The Prancing Pony. All this newness is getting me nostalgic from my first board move. πŸ˜‚)

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:39 pm
    • YonΓ‘vΓ«

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

Oh, YOU are White Shadow??? You helped me get the last update I ever updated, on the Walking to Rivendell thread.

So great to see you are here!! πŸ™‚

Not sure what I should do… I’m waiting for someone to tell me about the re-start for the Walk thread… can we make that happen? Right?

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:18 pm
  • coldwindtovalhalla

Hi, complete newb here, found you because of the Babylon Bee. Hope I don’t make too many annoying mistakes. πŸ˜‘

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:27 pm
    • heliona

Welcome! We’re all new here in that it’s a brand new forum, so we’re just working out how to use it.

A lot of us have been posting on the previous forum, so if it seems like we know each other, it’s because we do. But please don’t let that put you off! Jump right in, we don’t bite. 😊

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:31 pm
      • coldwindtovalhalla

Thank you for the welcome. Glad to hear you don’t bite too. πŸ˜…

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:44 pm
      • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 27 posts

Congratulations on the TORc Family!

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:58 pm
  • Melwa

Welcome, welcome! We’ll probably all be bumbling around this new setup for a while, so you’re in good company.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:48 pm
  • Tooks

Shield Bearer : 168 posts

We don’t bite???

Hey, speak for yourself!

(just kidding, of course) 😜

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:59 am
    • coldwindtovalhalla

Never trust a Took! πŸ˜†

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:43 pm
    • Drogo Baggins

We only bite if you ask nice…..;)

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:44 am
  • Tygarya

Aww man, can’t believe I have to start from scratch…I used to be Queen of Minas Morgul…

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:39 pm
    • Tooks

We can give you that honorary title, Tyg.

And here’s a cookie. πŸͺ

πŸ˜‡

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:58 am
      • Tygarya

Thank you Tooks… I have been away for many many years…just thought I better come and say hello in the new digs

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:02 pm
    • Melwa

Hello, and welcome back, your majesty. *curtsy*

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 pm
      • Tygarya

Well now, would you look at that, respect for authority πŸ˜‰

Pats Melwa on head

I like you

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:07 pm
  • Arassuil

Hello! I guess everyone is a n00b here!

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:57 pm
    • Tygarya

It would indeed appear so…

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:51 pm
    • elengil

Some of us are re-noobed, or is it noobed again? Second Noob-fast? Oh! Perhaps we’re in the Second Age of TORC. (Or is it the Third Age now?) Has the world been made round yet or are we all still Flat Middle-Earthers? Questions, questions that need answering!

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:54 pm
      • andurilwest

Petitioner to the Council : 3 posts

Second Age perhaps. I believe the url changes before were only cosmetic, while this seems to be a brand new site under the same domain name.

theonering.com was the first url, hence TORC vs TORN (.net), then it became tolkienonline.com (during which I signed up), then it went back to theonering.com because the Tolkien Estate or Society or something claimed tolkienonline. But the forums were always forums.*****.com, I think.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:58 pm
      • heliona

The forum was once The White Council (in name as well as URL) – in the days of TolkienOnline. I don’t think it had a forums…..com format then.

So I think we’re probably Third Age.

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:27 am
      • andurilwest

Ah I stand corrected. It’s easily proven with googling. The old forums still have tons of broken text links that were never converted, pointing to the even older url. But I don’t know when the change from “thewhitecouncil” to “forums.” happened. Probably before I signed up which was only a few months before ROTK. Maybe I did see the old url since I might have lurked for a bit before signing up, but I can’t say for certain.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:08 pm
      • heliona

We had a massive board change in the middle of 2000. And unlike this one, the old board was gone forever, so there was a lot of copying across of threads (mostly roleplaying ones). I still miss the ones I didn’t get a chance to copy over.

Obviously, Jonathan would be able to give a lot more detail, but I’ve just had a quick search on the Wayback Machine and it’s come up with a result from August 2000 for tolkienonline.com/thewhitecouncil

But yeah, if you joined just before RotK was released, a lot happened on the boards before then! πŸ˜„πŸ˜‰

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:12 am
      • Melwa

Curious to see the conclusion of this debate – it almost deserves its own thread. If someone could finish it off with a timeline so we can all date ourselves according to which Age of TORC we joined in, that would be fun.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:55 am
  • kevenstar

Petitioner to the Council : 9 posts

Hi everyone! A mixture of new-to-me names and some people I remember from “the good old days.” It’s nice to be back.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:29 am
  • earendil

Citizen of Imladris : 58 posts

Feeling really good to be back.

The old place helped me grow so much in so many ways.

In fact I’ve been re-reading some old threads; it’s helped if only just with my grasp and command of the English language πŸ˜‚

And I made friends for life (@Kaya, @Jaeniver, @elengil, @Leoba, @Dindraug, @Bardhwyn, @Berhael, @Estel to name but a few).

It would have been 19 years in April; as I said almost half my life.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:16 am
    • elengil

I’m sure we can make the new place cozy in no time! Perhaps a new inn to settle into?

😚

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:29 am
    • Tygarya

*cough

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:03 pm
    • Jaeniver

Awww big hugs lovely. Friends for life indeed. I grew up on and with the boards.

Now did someone mention an new inn?…

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:45 pm
      • elengil

I think someone might have dropped a hint about that somewhere 😊

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:09 am
  • Ithiliel

Hi everyone!

I was a pretty active poster in the early 2000s (and not ALL of my posts were spam!).. until life and college/grad school got in the way. I came back and lurked a few times, mostly in the Green Dragon and Pony, but haven’t been too active in years. Forgetting my password for awhile there certainly didn’t help 🀣

I have such fond memories of TORC, and traipsing around the boards, and am really excited to see the new forums and see some familiar faces!

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:02 pm
  • Tygarya

So what’s with the follows and connections things??

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:10 pm
    • Melwa

I think the idea is that once the board gets busy, we can keep up on the people/discussions we’re interested in by subscribing and following, to get them onto our news feed? Instead of the single enormous “active topics” page. For now I want to read everything 😁 but I do remember it used to get overwhelming to try to keep track of more than a few topics per forum.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:43 pm
      • Tygarya

I used to get emailed when a post was made…oh maybe that was only in RPs…come to think of it…I cant remember πŸ˜…

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:07 pm
      • Melwa

I think that was if you subscribed to a thread? So it will be similar.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:20 pm
  • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 46 posts

You can subscribe to topics (and forums)… just click the “subscribe” button in the upper right!

The connections and following will be fleshed out more in the future. It’ll include private messaging, creating your own groups, creating your own private forum, and more.

It’ll take time. Some of it may be behind a patreon-style membership. Or not. Playing it all by ear, right now!πŸ‘‚

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
    • Tygarya

Thank you Jon xx

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:15 am
  • prmiller

Citizen of Imladris : 32 posts

In many ways, the minute we walk in here we are “newbies”! New format, new way of posting…so much newness. It’s both intoxicating and deceiving…do I >really< know what I am doing? Not…on…your…life! So new! [future site for: “I love TORC” emoticon]!

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:51 pm
  • eleganthedgehog

Wow this is so cool!! I’m so excited to be part of this, I’ve been a Tolkien fan since the second grade!

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:15 pm
    • Tygarya

So what are you in now, for all we know you could be in third grade 😁

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:37 pm
  • Melwa

Eleganthedgehog, welcome! Wow, second grade? I don’t know if I could have made it through LOTR at that age.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:49 am
  • YonΓ‘vΓ«

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

Hi again!

I lurked on TORC for the longest time, before finally signing up in 2006 (wow, that was a long time ago! Ack! )
    Mainly, I stayed in intermittent contact because of the Walking to Rivendell thread, where I was… past Lothlorien!!! <3

So, hoping that thread can be revived here on the new boards?
    Let me know if there’s anything I can do to assist… hope this gets lots of new and old members, and becomes a thriving online hub again!

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:26 pm
  • Lady_of_Darkness

I’m not sure if anyone remembers me, but I actually had two accounts on the old boards. The first one got deleted from lack of use (probably a good thing, since I had a lot of trouble signing up, getting an email saying I was banned, even before I posted anything. I think they thought it was a spam account or something, but managed to get it straightened out, but eventually got deleted from lack of activity). The second account I had was with the same username. Since there was no way I was using a personal picture as my avatar (this isn’t Facebook, which is the only site where I have a personal picture), I just uploaded the same avatar that I’m using on the Council of Elrond (since I have the same username). Even though I didn’t post much on the old site, I’m kind of glad for the reboot (though this new site will take a little while to get used to), since some of my preferences have changed since the last time I posted on this site (or rather, the old site).πŸ˜ƒ

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:05 am
  • Tooks

Well, hi ya, Lady of Darkness.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:56 am
  • Drogo Baggins

I’m another oldie come back to life. Joined in the famous Class of 2000. Not half my life but I did announce the birth of my son on TORC and now he’s a sophomore in college. In the beginning I spent every lunch hour eating at my desk and posting. Jobs change and new situations make things different but TORC has always been home.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:50 am
  • northerner

Hello.

New member here. I did quite a bit of looking for a LOTR forum but most of them seemed to be either defunct or slowly dying. There’s always Reddit but I always find “subreddits” on there to be rather impersonal. They never really develop any real culture or community on there. I much prefer forums over Reddit boards.

Somehow, I stumbled across this one. This definitely had the most appeal with regards to how it looked and activity levels within the past few months, but boy, it was hard to find via Google. Hopefully the Google algorithms start picking up this forum more accurately soon.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:36 am
    • Arassuil

Welcome!

Yeah, most of the legacy Tolkien sites from the movie days have either ceased to exist, are crumbling from abandonment by their owners, disuse, crumbling tech, spambots, etc. This place was just recently renovated, and Tolkien Forums had a tech-makeover a couple years back and is doing well.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:18 pm
  • wrymero

Petitioner to the Council : 14 posts

Helloooooo

This new makeover is giving me such strange nostalgia. When did the new board start?

I was sidd on the older forum. I would not expect most people here to remember me as I was most active during the so called “interim” years of TORC, around 2012-2015 although I did come on and off the old board for quite some time.

So many people I remember from back then. rwhen, vana, tooks, ninui, melwa, isildilme, heliona, gwenelf, katlady and even some of the dearly departed ones too (RIP).

I hope everyone’s doing good and I can’t wait to dive into this new home and see everything 😁

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:05 am
Viewing 1 - 25 of 31 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now