Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums The Rings of Power LOTRonPrime Title Reveal Teaser

• LOTRonPrime Title Reveal Teaser

Firinne_Gile updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • bornilon

Citizen of Imladris : 29 posts

It’s not much of a teaser, but as a mere title reveal it strikes me as quite elaborately done. I do quite like the title, and its implication that the series will cover the full scope of story regarding the Rings of Power in the Second Age, though it remains unclear how they intend to accomplish this.

Anticipating the next reveal…

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:36 am
  • Jonathan

Servant of the Secret Fire : 52 posts

Pretty cool… but doesn’t tell us anything about the show.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:10 pm
  • Bardhwyn

Shield Bearer : 219 posts

First time I saw/heard it, I had to work SO HARD not to compare and contrast the woman narrating with Cate Blanchette’s version. That new narrator had big shoes to fill.

And yes, as Jonathan said – cool, but no substance.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:26 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 93 posts

Yeah, nice as this looks, it still barely qualifies as a teaser. I believe that the narrator is Morfydd Clark, our new Galadriel.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:58 pm
      • Bardhwyn

Shield Bearer : 219 posts

Just looked her up – and I can’t help but think how the life of that young woman is about to change, considerably! I hope the LOTR fans are kind…

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:13 am
  • Teffire

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

I agree, there’s not a lot of info given. From the title I’m assuming the show will feature the other rings of power. Maybe it will follow the some of the other ring holders?

I was honestly surprised that this was made with practical effects, it looked like cg to me, oops!😅

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:11 pm
  • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 58 posts

I’m kind of looking forward to what all they do with this…. not that I think it will be good or bad. It will I think in the end be an elaborate fanfic as the ‘source material’ is rather broken and sporadic for the second age. But then, with Peter Jackson changing Aragorn and his whole backstory, the emasculating of both Faramir and Denethor, and the dead green ant army in the battle of Pelennor Fields, the pattern was set to mess around with whatever you want. I hope it’s reasonably good, like PJ’s Lord of the Rings, expect it to be bad, like PJ’s Hobbit, and will be satisfied if it is watchable as, unlike PJ’s Lord of the Rings fanfic, and like PJ’s Hobbit mess, I’m not paying anything to see it.

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:39 pm
  • Feanor

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

Amazon has now apparently deleted >22,000 comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbZQSgRAfQ

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:50 am
    • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 58 posts

That is funny. As funny as those who are so enraged over a TV show that won’t air for another six months that most claim they won’t watch. Likely they were 22,000 variations of the same comment.

Edit: In response to Feanor and Firinne’ posts below, We’ll see how it goes. I myself don’t feel the need to get all wound uptight over the TV show, or what various people put out on youtube (I watch some of them for a laugh). I did get cranky with Peter Jackson’s fanfic twenty years ago, but quickly settled down as it really didn’t mean nothing.

The books are always going to be the books, and I enjoy reading them regularly. I don’t think I’ve watched the Peter Jackson movies more than once in the last decade. Likewise this series. I may watch it all, or may not get past the first ep. Either way, it don’t change my feeling of the stories in the books, or my personal vision of Middle Earth. In the meantime, I get some humour from the people who get so up tight about it all. 😀

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:07 pm
      • Feanor

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

Well, I’ll probably watch it too, at least the first three episodes, to get a good impression of the series and to be able to argue cogently.

But what I’ve seen and read so far doesn’t bode well.

You write:

“It will I think in the end be an elaborate fanfic as the ‘source material’ is rather broken and sporadic for the second age.”

The source material is partly very detailed and can be found in the Silmarillion (last third: Akallabeth + Of the Rings of Power) and in the Unfinished Tales (middle part). Amazon only has the rights for the Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit). And all you can find there about the Second Age are less than 5 pages in the appendices plus the timeline…

So they are forced to make fan fiction and at the same time ignore the detailed sources because they don’t have the rights for it. So from a book connoisseur’s point of view, it doesn’t make sense why they would do that at all.

For example, with the rights they actually have, they could have made a series about the Third Age and the fight against the Witch-king of Angmar…
        That would certainly have been very interesting, and it would have been much easier for them to stick to the canon.

Anyway, to me there’s no point in making a 5-season series based on books where they don’t even have the rights to 90% of the content.

While there seems to be a lot of attention to detail in some areas, the overall indication is that they’re mostly doing their own thing, but using a well-known brand to attract attention. Exactly this pattern is already confirmed by Amazon’s “Wheel of Time”, where the book fans got really more than angry.

Anyone who has read (and understood) Tolkien also usually has a sense of what can be plausible in Middle-earth and what seems rather inappropriate. And in this Amazon trailer – apart from the landscapes and cities (Numenor) and some costumes – not much feels plausible to me. That’s already too many “red flags”. It’s rather like random fantasy instead. Could also be the film adaptation of The Witcher, Wheel of Time or Shannara.

So I’d be happy if you could say: “It’s all just fan fiction – so do what you want!”

But unfortunately the opposite is the case. They don’t own the rights to the actual sources and are therefore “forced” to create fan fiction. What’s worse, that seems to have been their plan from the start, although there could have been better options.

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:41 pm
      • Firinne_Gile

Citizen of Imladris : 36 posts

Variations of the same thing made by people who have the same opinion. What cannot be shown in the dislike is shown in the commentaries and just as they deleted dislikes now they delete comments.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:28 pm