Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Movies, TV, and More ‘Lord of the Rings’ Amazon Series Sets Premiere Date, Drops First-Look Image

• ‘Lord of the Rings’ Amazon Series Sets Premiere Date, Drops First-Look Image

Suspended Member updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Posts
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 71 posts

Variety reports:

https://variety.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Lord-of-the-Rings-Amazon-e1627924985245.jpg

“The Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon officially has a premiere date.
    The highly-anticipated epic fantasy series will debut on the streamer on Sept. 2, 2022, with new episodes dropping weekly after that. Filming was completed on the first season of the show on Aug. 2 in New Zealand. Amazon has also released the first official image from the series, which can be seen above.

The image seems to be of Valinor in the First Age. The Two Trees can be seen. (How do we post an image here?)

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm
  • bornilon

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

This seems to indicate that the production is being allowed to use at least some elements of First Age (or pre- First Age) material from the legendarium. I wonder if this is part of a prologue; is it Galadriel recalling the splendor of Valinor before the poisoning of the Trees? I have so many questions…but the picture is highly evocative, and thirteen months seems a long way away!

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:13 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 71 posts

If we limit the First Age to the start of the Years of the Sun then the period lasted for less than 600 years. However, if we can trust Tolkien’s assertion that the First Age was a long Age then it might include the Years of the Trees, or at least the Long Night.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:02 pm
  • bornilon

Petitioner to the Council : 8 posts

Good point. I usually think of the First Age in terms of the Years of the Sun, but I prefer the idea that it includes (at least) the Valian years following the awakening of the elves. That seems to make more sense.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:20 pm
  • andurilwest

Petitioner to the Council : 5 posts

So that is how they envision a flat earth without sun and moon? One thing to read about it and another to see it in live-action. It doesn’t feel right in live-action because you know the earth is round. I wish he’d finished the round world version of the stories.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:44 pm
  • This content has been hidden as the member is suspended.
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now