Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Talk About Anything Help me create a Hobbit surname (first post)!

• Help me create a Hobbit surname (first post)!

• targettricky4

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

Hi all!

I’m trying to create a Hobbit roleplaying character and would love some help deciding on a surname. I’ve seen that some Hobbits have ‘foot’ in their surname, so which sounds better for my Hobbit?

Littlefoot or Smallfoot?

(I’m planning on having him have slightly smaller feet than the ‘normal’ hobbit).

Thank you! 🙂

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:48 am
  • nat808

Citizen of Imladris : 22 posts

I think “small foot” is good😊

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:44 am
  • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 38 posts

Smallfoot is less likely to conjure up images of dinosaurs than Littlefoot. I’m not sure that ‘foot’ was a particularly over-represented surname element. The only one I can think of is Proudfoot.

The list of names that Bilbo rattles off during his birthday speech include Baggins, Boffin, Took, Brandybuck, Grubb, Chubb, Burrows, Hornblower, Bolger, Bracegirdle, Goodbody, Brockhouse, Proudfoot, and Sackville-Baggins. Additionally we know of Gamgee, Maggot, Cotton, Sandyman, Longbottom, Gardner, Banks, (probably more I can’t find at the moment) and what is apparently a common-enough-not-to-stand-out name of Underhill.

Given that you’re going for a family name, Smallfoot sounds like this family must be remarkably notable for having smaller than average Hobbit feet, not just the one character. Which would definitely be a trait worthy of note among Hobbits.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:29 am
  • targettricky4

@elengil

Thank you so much for your help! So say if I go with a family name of Smallfoot (meaning the family is known for their small feet), it would make sense within the lore?

I think I read that there’s other ‘foot’ families such as Whitfoot, Puddifoot, Lightfoot and Twofoot.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:36 am
    • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 38 posts

[quote]So say if I go with a family name of Smallfoot (meaning the family is known for their small feet), it would make sense within the lore?[/quote]

I would think so, yes.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:40 am
  • lorrielsims

I’ll show you how to make a realistic render of a basement finishing atlanta in Blender.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:18 pm
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now