Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Language Elvish quote

• Elvish quote

Linnuial updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • yllaxina

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

Hi! I am looking for a elvish quote for a tattoo but i couldnt find it. Can someone send me the elvish writing of it?

“i will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”

May 29, 2021 at 10:19 am
  • Linnuial

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

Tolkien himself never translated this particular quote so you will get as many different ideas as there are translators, because it is by no means straight forward to puzzle out Tolkien’s intentions sometimes. I’d say:

Quenya/High-Elvish: lán quetuva “áva níta” an lá ilyë niër ulcë ná

Sindarin/Gray-Elvish: avon peded “avo nído” an egil law il nîn

However, this quote contains many much debated questions of Neo-Eldarin, such as: Is Ū or LĀ the root for verbal negation? What’s the grammatical difference between “not all tears are…” and “all tears are not”? What is the best way to form a neologism for “weep” from Tolkien’s roots? etc. so I would strongly advise against a tattoo of this in translated form. A safer variant would be to transliterate the quote into Tengwar without translating it. That means it would still be English, so you sidestep the complications of translations, all while looking pretty and “elvish” nevertheless. Such a transliteration would look like this. Feel free to play with the fonts (except Tengwar Formal, it has issues) but don’t change the mode drop down or the input text.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:53 am
Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now