Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums The Lord of the Rings Did the sons of Elrond choose to be men or Elves?

• Did the sons of Elrond choose to be men or Elves?

• azanathel1974

Petitioner to the Council : 1 posts

Elladan and Elrohir…. Once dad went away and sister died before them…. did they stay and be mortal, or did they leave and be elven?

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:34 pm
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 62 posts

Well, the brothers remained in Middle-earth after the Ring-bearers took ship into the West, but it’s hard to say if they ultimately chose mortality and made lives there. It’s equally possible that they did choose to live as Elves and sailed to Valinor at a later time.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:00 am
  • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

It took a bit of hunting, but I got the answer. Okatu-Sempai is right that the brothers stayed in Rivendell after Elrond and Galadriel left Middle-earth(Appendix B, The Great Years). And thus they must have stayed until their mortal deaths. “To the children of Elrond a choice was also appointed: to pass with him from the circles of the world; or if they remained, to become mortal and die in Middle-earth. (Appendix A, I, i)” They can’t change their minds, since that same passage also says that Elrond’s similar choice is “irrevocable” and Arwen also tells Aragorn on his deathbed that it’s too late to change her mind and go west.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:34 pm
  • Anonymous

Petitioner to the Council : 5 posts

Blog with lots of information. Visiting your blog helped me get what I was looking for.

among us 2

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:26 am
  • Old_Begonia

Petitioner to the Council : 13 posts

Tolkien wasn’t completely definitive about it though, was he? I mean, the door was left open, so to speak, by Frodo, of all people, speaking to Sam as they leave for the Grey Havens:

“Though you too were a Ring-bearer, if only for a little while. Your day may come.”

Though the Rings, and Cirdan, have passed into the West, that doesn’t mean all passage is cut off. I mean, Legolas and Gimli embarked for Valinor, after the passing of Aragorn. 🤷‍♀️

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:32 am
    • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

Didn’t Sam go with Gimili and Aragorn at the end?
      I thought I’d recalled that from somewhere.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:19 pm
      • Morwenna

Citizen of Imladris : 20 posts

Gimli and Legolas? I don’t know. Did Cirdan go with the Ringbearers? Somebody had to be around when Sam left; was that Cirdan? Dangit, where’s my book?

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:09 pm
      • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 62 posts

The Ringbearers did not depart on the Last Ship. That was sometime later in the Fourth Age when Círdan left Middle-earth. Celeborn probably accompanied him.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now