Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Talk About Anything Cold…Cold…Cold

• Cold…Cold…Cold

Ladykat updated 1 day, 17 hours ago 13 Members · 39 Posts
  • Drogo Baggins

Petitioner to the Council : 15 posts

Tomorrow we’re predicted to get low 30’s….but by the weekend and start of next week single digits as the high and below zero at night. How’s winter where you are???

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:56 pm
  • Morwenna

Citizen of Imladris : 20 posts

Cold indeed. We’re buried under snow here in the US Northeast. It started last night and is still going on; I don’t know how many feet we have right now, 2 or 3 maybe; I know the bikes in the rack in our building’s front yard are almost covered, but part of that is a drift.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:34 pm
  • Hunter

Petitioner to the Council : 16 posts

Here in northern Minnesota we had been having a pretty mild winter (mid 20’s) with not that much snow, but that will change starting this weekened. Highs are expected to be in the single didgits below zero on Sunday with wind chills well below. Brrr!

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:44 am
  • Tooks

Shield Bearer : 165 posts

Yea, it was cold here. Got lots of snow. Is warming up for a few days, than BAM!!! More cold.

Is it spring yet?

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:04 pm
  • Ladykat

Shield Bearer : 150 posts

It was warmer here today if you can call 38 degrees F warm.

But the temps are going to drop…..and we’re supposed to get more snow……๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿคฌ

Gonna go hibernate now.

LK

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:35 pm
  • Tooks

At least some of the snow will melt over the next few days. Then it will all freeze over with a glaze of ice. I will be able to step out into the yard and fall on my butt without even trying. ๐Ÿ˜›

No pictures, please. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:15 am
  • Ladykat

Tooks—instead of taking your dog for a walk, you can take him ice skating.

In your back yard. ๐Ÿ˜œ

LK

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:08 am
  • SilverScribe

Citizen of Imladris : 33 posts

Ladykat said “It was warmer here today if you can call 38 degrees F warm.”

Well, I CAN. ๐Ÿ˜›

What’s it like up here in the Great White North, today? Currently -22C and with the windchill, feels like -29C

For the rest of the week? We’re going to average daytime highs between -24C and -27C, with night time lows between -30C and -38C. Of course, the windchill factors are going to make those temperatures feel closer to -40C. Seriously. I’m not kidding . . .

Oh, for all the Americans here’s the conversion chart:
    (seriously you folks need to join the rest of the planet and go metric)
    -22C … – 7.6 F
    -24C … -11.2 F
    -27C … -16.6 F
    -29C … -20.2 F
    -30C … -22.0 F
    -38C … -36.4 F
    and of course, at -40, they’re the same. FREAKING COLD!!! ๐Ÿ’จ

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:30 pm
    • Sunsilver

Petitioner to the Council : 13 posts

Scribbles! So good to see a fellow Canuck here!

I’m in S. Ontario, north of Toronto, and it’s been down to -22 C. at night during the past week! BRRRrrrr!!

Has warmed up now, even creeping up above the freezing mark a time or two.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:04 pm
      • SilverScribe

Sunsilver!!! So good to see you too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, they don’t call it the Great White North for nothing, eh? LOL. Hope your cold “snaps” sooner rather than later . . .

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:13 pm
      • Sunsilver

Scribbles….oooh, that looks like vanilla ice cream…yum!

5 day forecast isn’t great – lows of -15 at night, and -8 to 10 in the daytime.

But with you being out west, I’m sure your temps are even lower!

I’ve forgotten which province you are in. I spent a winter in Edmonton, where it got down to -40 at night in January and February! NEVER AGAIN!! I was SO happy to come back to the banana belt of Ontario!

Feb 6, 2021 at 10:54 pm
  • Tooks

LK, I (and one of the dogs) have gone sliding down the hill behind my house. I had to grab onto a tree to stop. So, yea. It could happen. *reminds self to put cleats on boots before going out back next week*

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:58 pm
  • Drogo Baggins

It’s 1F this morning in northern Indiana. and-10F windchill. Ugh. But bright and sunny……๐Ÿ™„

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:08 am
    • Sunsilver

Heard from a cousin who lives in *Winterpeg, Manitoba – it’s -33 C there this morning!!

Sooo glad I’m in S. Ontario!

*(AKA Winnipeg)

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:30 am
  • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

Just got up to the first negative temperature I’ve seen this winter – first on the new thermometer we got this summer, too.

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:48 am
  • SilverScribe

@ Sunsilver: Yup, I currently reside on the Prairies, in Alberta. And yes, it’s frigid to the Max out there again today, when I got up this morning, my outdoor thermometer read -32C. I stepped out onto the deck to dust off one of my solar lights and CRIKEY! The wind nearly turned me into a ScribeSicle, ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Strange to think of southern Ontario as a banana belt, but in comparison – yep, that works for me too. ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes it does look like vanilla ice cream . . . too bad our snow wasn’t really made up of that! Of course, then we’d all be fatter than penguins, LOL. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:22 am
  • Witchwench

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

Evening everyone! How you’all doing? Kinda cold here in MN at -20F…looking forward to spring

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:32 pm
  • Yonรกvรซ

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

We’re dealing with humid cold here in SW Mo. but not much in the way of snow.

As someone who has lived 30 mils from the Canadian border, with 4′ snowfalls… it seems like this should not feel this horribly, bone cuttingly frigid; but I have to say, this humidity is KILLER.

All you who live in arid climates, enjoy that aspect!!

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:50 pm
  • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

@Witchy – Hi! I’d been wondering how the winter was treating you. Good to see you back on the boards!

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:23 pm
  • Ladykat

Watched the weather today, but really didn’t take in much of what they said.

The only thing I remember is, it’s going to get colder.

Much, MUCH colder!

LK

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:26 pm
  • SilverScribe

I agree, humidity combined with either heat OR cold is entirely horrible. Spent one summer in Barrie, Ontario and said NEVER AGAIN. ๐Ÿ˜› LOL . . . However having said that, I can manage the ocean humidity of Maui juuuuuuust fine. ๐ŸŒด

We have FINALLY climbed out of the worst of it, this morning it was only -20C, even though the windchill was still fierce at -32C. But by tomorrow, our temperatures are supposed to return to more “normal” values, I tell ya, -10C is going to feel like shorts and flip-flop weather, LOL.

Stay warm and safe everyone!

“When you carry a Broadsword, you never have the same problem twice.”

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:47 pm
  • Tooks

Hey there, Witchy! Nice to see ya!

I am grateful our temp have not gone into the negatives this year. So far. Since it is now mid-February, I don’t think it will happen. Yay. But I do wish I could embed my ‘Die, Winter, die’ pic here. Gotta be some way to do that…..

*scratches head*

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:54 pm
  • fireinwinter

Petitioner to the Council : 2 posts

I’m thinking about all of you who are experiencing unusual cold! I’m so grateful for my hoodie collection this time of year.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:02 am
  • Ladykat

Tooks—-yeah, I really liked that “Die, Winter, Die!” pic.

Hope you can figure out a way to get it back.

LK

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:02 pm
  • Vanaladiel

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

I almost hate to post in here. I know so many are experiencing some unusual cold and freezing temps. We in the Pacific Northwest have had a very mild winter so far. Lots of rain but also lots of sun though it is not summer for sure. But last week the temps tanked a bit. Now we can get very cold starting in October and running through into April but not usually the entire time. But we only really got down to freezing about this time last week. It does not usually snow alot but it can. We got all of about 9 inches which for at my home is a lot. But that was on Saturday and Sunday and today it is all gone. The temps are back up above freezing and should be back in the 40s F by late tomorrow. This is one of the reasons I moved here to the Western side of the state. The Eastern side being a desert can get down to 10 below and have snow for 6 months out of the year or up to 110 during the summer for more than a month. My old bones won’t take that any more. So if any of you need a change of weather you are always welcome here. I am north of Melwa and it is warmer where I am in the winter then even she has. I am in the banana belt of Washington state!

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:55 pm
    • SilverScribe

VANA!! Well bless my soul and colour me purple . . . it’s great to see you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

“When you carry a Broadsword, you never have the same problem twice.”

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:35 pm
  • Tooks

I think winter may be starting to die here. Over the next week the temps will be above freezing during the day. yay.

Melting snow makes for slushiness and wet feet, but I can cope. ๐Ÿ‘

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:18 pm
  • Tooks

55F today!

Ha! Take that, winter!

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:18 pm
  • Drogo Baggins

It’s a beautiful morning here in northern Indiana. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, birds are flying…and it’s 19F.

Oh well, supposed to be in the 40’s by midday.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:22 am
  • Tooks

It will be in the 60’s F tomorrow!!!! No more cold cold cold!!!

I hope.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:35 pm
  • Ladykat

Today was beautiful, actually got up to 70 degrees F or so the weather dweebs claim.

Unfortunately it’s going to drop back down to about 40 degrees F and stay there for the next few days.

Oh well, at least they’re not predicting snow. I hope.

LK

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:37 pm
  • earendil

Citizen of Imladris : 54 posts

-1C this morning at sunrise but weโ€™re expecting 21C this afternoon

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:27 am
  • Ladykat

We have snow today. Not a lot, maybe, but it has accumulated on the grass and sidewalks.

So, what is that saying?

April snowstorms bring—-runny noses?

LK

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:53 am
  • Tooks

PA had some teeny tiny flurries a couple of days ago. That had better be it for snow. I mean it!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ก

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:07 pm
  • Ladykat

Totally agree with you, Tooks. That had better be it for snow.

LK

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:18 am
  • Ladykat

Temps have gone up a bit, but it’s still too chilly for my taste.

And I think they said there will be a temperature drop, around midweek (?) with maybe some snow? Ground covering snow???

AARRRRRRRRRRRAHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

LK

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:44 am
  • Drogo Baggins

We’ve had a couple days of snow, light accumulation yesterday, not much today. But worse is temps down into the 20’sF at night. Fruit trees are in blossom or just ready to be here in northern Indiana so this could be really bad. The snow yesterday I think stuck to the blossoms and would have protected them in the nighttime cold. That all melted off today so not sure if there will be any protection tonight. Ugh. Warming from here on out tho….

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:21 pm
  • Ladykat

Well, we got the snow.

Wet, heavy snow. A couple of inches of it, if not more.

And the cold of course, right now it’s only about 35F.

What makes it worse is, we had several days when the temps were in the high 60’s F making everyone think: YAY! Spring is here!

Nope……….

LK

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:12 am
  • Ladykat

The temps have finally gone up a bit. Still a little on the cool side, but we’re finally closer to what would be normal for this time of year. I just hope the upward trend continues.

LK

May 15, 2021 at 8:33 am

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now