Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Talk About Anything Class of '02 v5 : 2021 Now we are 19

• Class of '02 v5 : 2021 Now we are 19

Bardhwyn updated 4 days, 23 hours ago 7 Members · 38 Posts
  • Bardhwyn

Citizen of Imladris : 48 posts

Had to be done. 😃

Roll on up, take a seat, sit a spell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Class of ’02~~~~~~~~~~

Bardhwyn of Dale – joined 11 Feb 2002

Eärendil (earendil81) – joined April 4 2002

Elengil (and a host of others) – joined Sep 04, 2002!

Jaeniver – joined 1 Jan 2003 (but with time zones and everything, we just say 2002)

~~~~~~~~~~Honorary Members~~~~~~~~~~~

Otaku-sempai

Lalaith-Elerrina

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:16 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 73 posts

19? Shouldn’t you be closer to 35 or so? I was the class of ’79 and I’m over 60.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:15 am
    • earendil

Citizen of Imladris : 84 posts

@Otaku-sempai , it’s because we originally joined TORC in 2002 so 19 😜

Otherwise I think we now range in age from early to mid-30s and onto our 60s maybe more 😱. Time has flown.

@Bardhwyn thanks for restarting this one ❤️.

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:16 am
      • Otaku-sempai

Ah, I see. Thanx for the clarification!

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:48 am
      • earendil

my pleasure

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:57 am
  • Bardhwyn

Time has flown. But, in all truth, the memories are still vivid – the excitement, the creativity, everything.

Hello Otaku-sempai! Great name. Consider yourself an ‘honorary member’ of the Class of ’02! 🙂

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:19 pm
  • earendil

@Bardhwyn for certain. And as far as I’m concerned no matter how much time passes between meetings/exchanges it always feels like we saw each other the day before… this kind of precious friendship. I consider myself lucky 🍀 . 💕

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:53 pm
  • Bardhwyn

OK all you Class of ’02 TORCERs –

I know you’re lurking. ( gives one particularly grumpy she-elf a look)

So roll up and remind me when you joined in ’02 and I’ll amend the Membership List accordingly.

And while you’re all it – say a bit about yourself and what you’re up to.

Remember her? 😀

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:28 pm
  • Lalaith-Elerrina

Does it count that I joined in ’03? *ducks and hides*

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:17 pm
    • Bardhwyn

Honorary Membership it is, then!!
      🙂
      Hello Lalaith!

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:18 am
  • earendil

Eärendil (earendil81) – joined April 4 2002

40 y.o. this year… currently working on a career change since tourism is crippled by the pandemic.

Hesitating between going back to fundraising or going into teaching, since training and transmitting knowledge has always been a significant and enriching part of my tasks.

Two toddlers who are my little miracles. Even though I can barely function for lack of sleep lately 😜.

That’s about it for now.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:41 am
  • elengil

Citizen of Imladris : 62 posts

Sep 04, 2002!

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:19 am
    • earendil

Really? I thought for sure you joined before me. Uh…

Time does things to memory 😂😂

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:59 am
  • earendil

So yeah I’m replying to myself kinda…

@Lalaith-Elerrina we had a few honorary members from 2003 and other years 😜. We’re an inclusive bunch, you know.

Speaking of honorary members, where are you @Jaeniver ♥️?

How is everyone handling the shortening of days? I mean I know it started in June but now they’re shorter than nights.

Doesn’t mean I sleep more mind you, with both toddlers keeping me awake (from 1:30am to 3:30am this time. And the youngest was up at 7am 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️😂).

I think it’s the first time in my life I’m struggling with it. Maybe because I’m struggling with other things too and it sort of adds up, who knows 🤷‍♀️? Experiencing first hand the multiple discriminations on the labour market: 40, 2 young kids, woman and soon long term employment seeker. Not something I ever imagined happening to me but eh. I’m working on a plan but it’s sometimes a bit disheartening.

My thyroid must also be unbalanced- otherwise I can’t quite explain the perpetual exhaustion. Even two excited non sleeping toddlers can’t justify that 😂😂.

On the other hand, I write every day – don’t always have the focused energy for it so a lot gets trashed but it’s still writing 😜.

Hope you all are doing well 😊

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:29 pm
    • elengil

I don’t remember if I’d mentioned it before but you should get your Vitamin D levels checked. Chronically low D can contribute to a number of problems, fatigue being one potential symptom.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:30 am
      • earendil

You did mention it; haven’t been able to get my GP to order the tests. Not giving up; my thyroid was all over the place in June though so I have to have it rechecked. And then convince the doc to have the vitamin D levels looked at.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:10 pm
    • Jaeniver

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

I am here Eari 😉 Only just saw your post now.

Hi everyone! Oh my, it has been quite some time since I logged on here. Fresh paint on the walls, new keys to get in. I need a moment to adjust 🙂

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:50 pm
      • Bardhwyn

Hello there – welcome!

* pulls up another chair to the fire *

Make yourself comfy!

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:17 am
  • Bardhwyn

Hello –

I’m procrastinating, I confess it. I should be prepping for my one teaching day and I’m more interested in shopping for garden tools, and like you Eari – a better job, as well as other things.
    I’m so-so myself. I love the autumn, as a rule, but I also notice how the light fades faster with each passing day ( and every time I notice, I think of the winter solstice and the irrefutable fact that yes, the days will lengthen again – cheers me up, that).
    I’m so-so also because I’m coming to terms with a recently diagnosed chronic health condition, one that’s significant and will make job seeking ‘interesting’. I can’t do ‘energetic’ work – end of. It’s too draining, so mainstream teaching is out. This condition went under the radar for years when I worked in IT – I was sedentary, sitting at a desk! Well, I know now and will learn more in the coming months.

Glad to hear your writing everyday Eari – that’s great and also inspiring. I’m managing every other day thereabouts. And, another confession: I’m am restraining myself from overwhelming our little RP in the Pony. The Muse is just GUSHING… I may go over to the Old Torc, dig up ‘Bandit Tales’, repost the story over here (in Inspired?) and pick up where I left off.

Come on you ’02 lurkers!! Declare yourselves!! 😄

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:52 am
    • elengil

🙁 Chronic conditions seem to be on the rise these days. So frustrating to have your body be way too young to be vetoing what seems to be very basic functionality.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:40 am
      • Bardhwyn

I agree, and I sometimes wonder if it is a function of the food we eat and the pollution we pump into our environment.

Oct 6, 2021 at 7:44 am
      • elengil

That is almost certainly a contributing factor. We have so many known toxins that have become almost ubiquitous, endocrine disruptors and PFAS and hell, even sugar. Coupled with poor nutrition (regardless of ‘food’ access) and yeah, we’ve most certainly made a mess of it.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:15 pm
  • earendil

@Bardhwyn Sorry to hear about your health condition 🥺♥️. I hope it’s not something that will cause you too much (more?) trouble. Sucks that it prevents you from doing what you want though. Crossing my fingers for you on the job search.

I usually love the fall; for me it’s the beautiful colours of Northern America – Quebec, Ontario and Vermont – as I’m sure it may be for you (You’re from New England if I recall). The hybrid weather… But this year… ah 🤷‍♀️this will pass I trust.

Please please do let the muse play. It’s always a pleasure to read your writings. Wherever you decide; I mean there’s always the possibility of a new ICC but mostly a section for writings and arts related to LoTR – yes Inspired – and “Bandit Tales the follow-up” would definitely have its place there. I’m playing with the idea of putting Eari’s early 4th age there but I can’t seem to write her story in order (or any other for that matter; even in collab writing, my mind often leaps ahead even when I know things are unlikely to unfold the way I imagine at that precise moment) so that might end up way too confusing 😂😂😂

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:45 pm
  • Bardhwyn

Lovely to see you here @elengil – I’m picking up a vibe that your life is full, no? If so, I hope it is a good kind of full. 🙂
    And @earendil – the Muse IS playing… and I’m enjoying writing again, especially so because it’s in collaboration with you and Elengil. I am such a harsh self critic, though. Being critical is ok, being harsh, not so much. It is such a waste of emotional energy, really. I have lost the knack of writing RPposts – I used to be so quick at it. Not any longer – out of practice I imagine. I doubt I will ever get back into peak mid-2000 TORC shape every again, though. That was such an extraordinary time, so much creativity…
    Still, I get get into peak mid-2020’s shape, can’t I – 😇😆

Oct 7, 2021 at 3:20 am
    • elengil

Not full, so much as I am just… careful of how much energy I expend (all kinds of energy). So some things that want to get done sometimes have to wait for things that need to get done.

And the muse is still a bit groggy from that long semi-catatonic state so she’s being grumpy and wants 5 more minutes to sleep. I’m being gentle.

But ah yes, those were definitely the days, and not just in a rose-colored nostalgia way but in they were truly amazing days, at least here on TORC. 😍

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:09 am
  • earendil

@Bardhwyn , the mid 2000s were a buzz of awesome creativity on the boards for sure. I guess part of it was also because so many of us often wrote together, were used to writing together and were bringing the best out of each other. Because there was trust also. We knew each other’s characters but we also knew we could trust our charries into someone else’s hands. That’s one reason I enjoyed Journeying East or Redemption so much. I could tell how much trust, respect and cohesion there was in the cast (along with a very defined story arc, while allowing for individual growth).

That makes a big difference. And I know that’s how I felt when I wrote with you all (even in 2013 when we started working on the ICC – Rescue Bardhwyn plot with Frelga, Kaya and yourself, potentially Guru).

I also looked forward the unexpected development of my characters, those I hadn’t anticipated because – like in real life – their interactions with others influence who they become. I know I said it before but Eari’s arc – as I imagined it – entirely changed after she joined the Bards’ Guild and even more so after meeting a certain Rohirrim 😂😜 (@Herger looking at you). But in fairness, I never really wrote her IC on the boards, except within the Bard Guild Festivals set up. At first I didn’t have the fast internet connection or the guts; and then, it was a succession of false starts LOL; maybe she wasn’t meant for the spotlight.

I would never have attempted writing a character like Diya before; she was and is still so far from who I am as a person. But thanks to that trust, the support, I got out of my comfort zone, forced myself to write new things. I still suck at writing male characters convincingly but eh 😂😂.

So be kind to yourself: for one, you are a phenomenal writer, you pull me in your story faster than even Guy Gavriel Kay, you make me want to know more. For second, how long since you last wrote RP posts? We all get rusty. So I know you’ll find your groove. And I’m so excited to be a part of that. Because it’s a pleasure to write with you and also – being a bit of a fangirl there but with you, elengil under her many guises and SilverScribe it’s always been the case – an honour.

Here I am, gushing. Anyway. To the 2020s peak ❤️😄

And back to my cover letters and CVs (I did have a call from a previous manager who wants me to come and work with her. Keeping my fingers crossed.)

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:12 am
  • Herger

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

Pfft, of course you’re looking at me. Everybody looks at me. *preens. Then ducks*

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:50 am
    • Bardhwyn

🤣🤣🤣

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:07 am
  • earendil

😜😜Insufferable! You haven’t changed a bit. 😂

*throws a random ball at the horseboy’s head, even as he ducks to avoid it.*

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:35 am
  • Bardhwyn

Ya know, I think we are the only three people to post onto the boards in a wee while.. like days…

There is a bit of an ECHO ECHo ECho Echo echo…..

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:18 am
    • earendil

Ah, we keep the lights on 😂😜. Has to count for something, right. Even though we’ve lost our original post counts (can’t quite get over the fact I lost my blue wheel of death: it took me a decade to get it LOL), who knows? 😜😜

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:42 am
      • Bardhwyn

I noticed someone had put a screenshot up of their old Torc addy, with their join date and post count as a background image on their account landing page? Might be an idea?

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:28 am
      • earendil

I didn’t see to but yes that’s a good idea 😊

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:39 am
  • Jaeniver

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

I must confess I can’t even remeber exactly when I joined. Wish I had saved a print screen or something from back in the day.

Maybe it was 2006…2003? Pffff clueless 😛

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:28 am
    • earendil

It was January 1 2003.

And no, I’m not a stalker but the old boards are still accessible and I have a few threads bookmarked 😜, including an Award thread where somehow Jae managed to talk Eari into a dress 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:02 pm
      • elengil

Jan 1st is within tolerance for 2002. 😁

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:53 am
  • elengil

Took a while to get it all together, but here is my “a brief overview of the last 19 years in the life of elengil”

Bought my house in 2006.

Lost my job in 2008.

Worked random interim jobs.

Sister got married in 2009.

I wrote a book between 2008 and 2009 (unpublished, unedited, unfit for consumption, but dernit, I DID IT!)

Worked what started as an okay job but ultimately turned toxic between 2009 and 2017. But now I know more about airline repair, Boeing part numbers, and metal finish specs than I ever truly wanted to know.

Met my brother for the first time in 2010.

Got together with my Sweetie in 2016.

Got my almost dream job in 2017, and am very very very happily back in Architecture, and love this company.

Began some rather extensive renovations of the exterior my house (including having the west wall almost entirely rebuilt due to water damage and rot), which will ultimately include replacing all the windows, replacing the siding, and adding new insulation. (My house was built in 1932. The insulation uncovered so far has consisted primarily 0f wood pulp and newspapers from 1953.

I have adopted (or expanded) a number of hobbies, including calligraphy and illumination, heraldry, sewing, rock carving, painting (watercolor and acrylic), spinning and weaving, jewelry making, and general study of medieval life (across various cultures and times).

I currently have 3 1/2 cats (2 indoor, 1 outdoor, and one who seems to stop by mostly for food and pets but then wanders off again.)

My uncle still lives with me, but now so does Sweetie. That is not always a seamless integration, but we’re making it work.

I’m writing a series of short stories inspired by/based on medieval period collections of stories and fairy tales (yes, they existed) which I hope to eventually create my own book (as in… do the calligraphy, illuminations, bindings, etc)

I have been learning Swedish for the last 7 years or so, and started on Chinese just recently, thanks to Duolingo.

I’ve learned the countries of the world and the provinces of China thanks to this website: https://online.seterra.com/en

I love how many opportunities I’ve had to learn new things!

I’m sure even after I post this I’ll remember things I’ve forgotten.

It’s amazing just how much life has changed.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:27 pm
  • Bardhwyn

Wow, Elegil – yes, lots of life changes and yet you are still this amazing, creative woman – if not more so!

And yes, Jea is co opted into the 2002 class because time zones and because I say so and I’m the Tread Mistress. 🙂

Hmm, what can I say for myself… I will think about it. 🙂

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:55 am
Viewing 1 - 19 of 19 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now