Welcome to Our Fellowship

Join our growing fellowship! Check the News Feed to see all the latest!
Below, find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community.

Forums Forums Movies, TV, and More Amazon’s ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Series News and Rumors

• Amazon’s ‘The Lord of the Rings’ Series News and Rumors

Otaku-sempai updated 2 weeks ago 8 Members · 21 Posts
  • Otaku-sempai

Citizen of Imladris : 48 posts

The latest Green Dragon Gossip from TORn Tuesday:

00:07:15 – Russell Crowe is the main star of Amazon Prime’s LotR series, possibly as a Númenórean lord or king (or a Dwarf king?). If the show is actually set in the late Second Age (and not the middle as many of have thought) then Crowe could be playing Ar-Pharazôn, the last king of Númenor. Somebody in the chat later suggested Crowe for Tom Bombadil.

00:22:05 – Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai) may be cast as one of the Blue Wizards (possibly Rómestámo the”East-helper”).

00:25;40 – Ghassan Massouid (Kingdom of Heaven) might be the other Blue Wizard (Morinehtar the “Darkness-slayer”?).

00:38:30 – Lenny Henry may be cast as a Dwarf (either Narvi the craftsman or a Dwarf king, maybe Durin III?). Why not a Man of Far Harad I don’t know; that seems a bit more likely to me.

00:43:04 – Howard Shore is not composing the soundtrack but has been approached as a consultant. No composer has yet been named. The series is said to have the largest musical budget in history for a series. Possible composers include: James Newton Howard (Peter Jackson’s King Kong); James Horner (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; already busted as garbage. Horner died in 2015); Trevor Jones (The Dark Crystal).

00:56:30 – The show is currently shooting in the west Auckland area called West Henderson. They’ve been filming a lot of night shoots.

01:00:12 – Amazon is trying to figure out a way to get Hobbits in the show. This rumor is given a pretty low probability. Hobbits don’t show up in the history of Middle-earth until Bilbo Baggins takes part in the Quest of Erebor. Members of the Fellowship of the Ring could possibly be used as a framing device for the series.

01:15:00 – The two-part pilot might premiere in November or December 2021 to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the premiere of The Fellowship of the Ring. The rest of the first season might air in early 2022. A trailer might apear around the time of the 2021 San Diego Comic Con (even if it a virtual event).

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:24 am
  • Michael

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

The cast is amazing!

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:03 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Keep in mind that these are still unconfirmed rumors. If these rumors about the Blue Wizards do prove to be true, though, I’m even more curious about who Lenny Henry will play.

Speaking of the Ithryn Luin, I’m going to call it: Ken Watanabe will play Rómestámo (“East-helper”) and Ghassan Massoud will be Morinehtar (“Darkness-slayer”). Any bets?

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:29 pm
  • JudyA

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

I have to say I’m not overly keen at the idea of Russell Crowe as a Numenorean lord/king – unless he’s a bad guy. To me he just seems too…. 🤔 earthy? Beefy? Does this make sense to anyone else?

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm
    • Otaku-sempai

If the rumor is either confirmed or busted, I’m sure it will get posted here!

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:30 pm
    • Melwa

Citizen of Imladris : 55 posts

Yes, it does, I was thinking the same thing!

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:51 pm
    • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

HAhahaa!!! 😉 Well, I guess we’ll see!

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:28 pm
  • JudyA

Petitioner to the Council : 10 posts

And as far as the Blue Wizards go, I must say I prefer them as Alatar and Pallando… but that’s just me…

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:25 pm
    • Otaku-sempai

It might be that Alatar and Pallando are their Maiar names and the later names were given to them during their travels in Middle-earth.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:10 am
  • oldtobyoflongbottom

Petitioner to the Council : 4 posts

What’s the source for these rumours?

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:16 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Cliff and Justin of TheOneRing.net have not revealed most of their sources. However, the rumor concerning Russell Crowe is founded (at least in part) on social media activity between the actor and person(s) associated with the series.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:08 am
  • prmiller

Citizen of Imladris : 32 posts

I have always been encouraged when I see creative folk in the cinematic world attempting to bring pages of

text to life. As a teacher, I was then able to draw the attention of my eager young hearts back into the

text to enjoy both the marvels seen and the wonders that had to be left behind…and be slack-jawed in

awe at the way artistic license is used to push a film narrative forward. Lots of fun discussions there.

Oh, yes! I am rejoicing greatly that we see a film interpretation of time chronicled in Tolkien’s works.

A toast to the blessings of great story!

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:09 pm
  • Yonávë

Citizen of Imladris : 23 posts

This will be fun to keep abreast of news on!

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:29 pm
  • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 24 posts

*forehead thunks on the table*
    I’ve been hoping for the best and expecting the worst with this project, and sadly the scale pointer is moving more toward the ‘worst’ side. Its almost sounding like its going to be a fanfic of Peter Jackson’s fanfic.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:23 pm
  • Otaku-sempai

<font face=”verdana,helevetica” size=”2″>Fellowship of Fans reports that episode 4 of Amazon Prime’s Lord of the Rings series is filming. The also exclusively report that “An unnamed and currently unknown woman director will be directing ep 5 and ep6 of Lotronprime and most likely ep 7 as well”. This much is said to be confirmed.</font>

<font face=”verdana,helevetica” size=”2″>YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0flMGfoQO0</font>

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:18 pm
  • Otaku-sempai

<font face=”verdana,helevetica” size=”2″>Fellowship of Fans is back with rumor of another director for Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series, and this time they have a name: Wayne Che Yip (Wheel of Time; Hunters; Doctor Who. FOF has done a bit of detective work and it looks like they’ve come up with a solid lead. You can check it out on YouTube:</font>

<font face=”verdana,helevetica” size=”2″>https://www.youtube.com/…GqCj0Og6j1k&t=1s </font>

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:07 pm
  • Otaku-sempai

Fellowship of Fans has learned that Australian actor Tom Budge has left Amazon Prime’s Lord of the Rings series. The actor posted on social media:

Hello loves, it is with great sadness that I am writing to tell you I have departed Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ television series.
    After recently seeing the first episodes shot over the last year Amazon has decided to go in another direction with the character I was portraying…
    I must thank the creative team for their encouragement towards trying something that I believed was new, exciting and beautiful.
    And I sincerely thank the extraordinary cast and crew for their love, support and friendship over what has been a very difficult and unusual experience. Alas, some things just cannot be.
    Destiny my mother, I thank thee.
    x
    Tom

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76_hvqC5MA&t=315s

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:40 am
  • Otaku-sempai

Wayne Che Yip is confirmed as a director and co-executive producer. Deadline reports: Wayne Che Yip Boards ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ TV Series As Director And Co-Executive Producer; Will Helm Four Episodes Of Amazon Original

Wayne Che Yip has joined the creative team behind the Lord of the Rings TV series, as both a co-executive producer and director, Amazon Studios announced today. As a director, he’ll follow in the footsteps of J.A. Bayona (A Monster Calls), who helmed the series’ first two episodes.

Yip is quoted about joining the creative team:

“It is a true honor to be invited into the world of Tolkien by J.D. & Patrick and Amazon Studios,” said Yip, whose directing credits include episodes of Hunters, Preacher, Utopia, Doctor Who, and upcoming Amazon fantasy series, The Wheel of Time. “Every day I look forward to working with the incredible team here in New Zealand as we humbly contribute to the legacy of the greatest stories ever told.”

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:39 am
  • Arassuil

Citizen of Imladris : 24 posts

Did I read somewhere that Amzon was spending nearly a half a billion dollars on the 1st season of this?

Edit: I did read it…

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/16/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-will-cost-at-least-465-million.html

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:25 am
    • Otaku-sempai

Keep in mind that the first season needs to set up locations and sets that might be used throughout the rest of the show. And this could include Season Two which has been reported to be filming back-to-back with Season One.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:32 am

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now