The Many Names of Turin Turamarth or Turin the Hapless - A Study
The malice and hatred borne upon by Morgoth to Hurin"s descendants when came face to face with the Black God himself in Angband (the stronghold of Morgoth/Melko), was carried out in the curse spoken while tomenting Hurin. Thus says:
". . . but upon whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair. Wherever they go, evil shall arise. Wheneve rthey speak, their words shall bring ill counsel. Whatsoever they do shall turn against them. They shall die without hope, cursing both life and death."(The Unfinished Tales:Narn I Hin Hurin p.71)
This curse brought about the boundless despair upon the young lord from a tender age to his death and will only be avenged in the day when Turin, coming from the Halls of Mandos, shall sr=trike his black sword (Gurthang) upon Morgoth in the Last Great Battle as prophesized by Mandos. And so shall the children of Hurin finally be avenged.
In his wanderings though, Turin adopted and have been called by so many names as a means of disguise. They are:
- Thaliorodrin - "Son of Thalion" as pertains to his father HUrin.
- Neithan - "The Wronged". It is a name he takes among the outlaws. He first introduced himself to Androg of Dor-lomin when asked what his name was.
- Agarwaen - "Blood-stained". It is a name he took when he went to Nargothrond, in the realm of Orodeth, son of Finarfin.
- Thurin - "The Secret". It is a name given to him by Finduilas (Faelivrin), daughter of Orodeth, in Nargothrond.
- Adanedhel - "Elf-man". It is a name given to him and took in Nargothrond. It was first mentioned in the texts when Finduilas used it.
- Mormegil - translated as "Blacksword" in account to his sword Gurthang, which is a long sword with a black blade and the edges that shines bright and cold. This is a name given to him as a captain of the host of Nargothrond and later on in Brethil.
- Wildman of the Woods - It is a name he took when he first came among the Men of Brethil.
- Turambar - translated in Quenya as "Master of Doom" or "Master of the Dark Shadow." He adopeted this name when he awoke one day and decided to renounce his name as well as his kin in the Forest of Brethil. Later on, he was thus called by the woodmen of Brandir son of Handir, a people of the House of Haleth the Hunter (Third house of the Edain) in Amon Obel.